676.8 KB · Views: 2,027
  • DSC01077.jpg
    DSC01077.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 3,374
  • JD 550 Rototiller (1).JPG
    JD 550 Rototiller (1).JPG
    619 KB · Views: 2,845
   / 550 Tiller #2  
You got a good deal in my opinion. I woudn't worry about that tail gate. I tilled with the gate up some on my 660 and I think your tail gate will work fine like that. Might want to get some paint on it. Your tines look like originals and the outside ones are getting pretty worn. After another year or two of use you might want to think about new tines. You'll be amazed how much better new tines till. I see you have the slip clutch on the PTO exposed. If it has set outside chances are the clutch plates have rusted together. It would be wise to tighten down the slip clutches bolts to free up the plates for a bit then back off the nuts to till. If you can't figure it out you can take it to a JD dealer and they will be glad to show you what needs doing. Contrats on a nice find! I just traded in my 13 year old 660 and a dealer allowed me $1900 trade in value for it. You done good!:thumbsup:

/ 550 Tiller #3  
$400 ???? That tiller here would be three times that on Craigslist. You did well, real well ! :thumbsup:

/ 550 Tiller #4  
Very good deal at that price. I picked up a non-Deere 60" for $500 and know it was a good deal. I would have paid twice that for a Deere. But the non-Deere has done well for me the last two years. The rear lids get bent up when one forgets to raise them and backs up.

/ 550 Tiller
You got a good deal in my opinion. I woudn't worry about that tail gate. I tilled with the gate up some on my 660 and I think your tail gate will work fine like that. Might want to get some paint on it. Your tines look like originals and the outside ones are getting pretty worn. After another year or two of use you might want to think about new tines. You'll be amazed how much better new tines till. I see you have the slip clutch on the PTO exposed. If it has set outside chances are the clutch plates have rusted together. It would be wise to tighten down the slip clutches bolts to free up the plates for a bit then back off the nuts to till. If you can't figure it out you can take it to a JD dealer and they will be glad to show you what needs doing. Contrats on a nice find! I just traded in my 13 year old 660 and a dealer allowed me $1900 trade in value for it. You done good!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the good word!
This is my first tiller
Wasn't really in the market for one - just say in on Craigslist
It seemed like a good deal to me - couldn't pass it up
You mentioned the slip clutch is "exposed"
Did it originally come with a plastic cover?

The slip clutch still works - I hit a small rock and the tiller quit turning
Shut the pto off, cleared the rock and turned the pto back on - worked fine
I can see the slip clutch is a great feature - much better than shear bolts!!!!

Once I get it painted it will be stored in the barn
Still would like to straighten the rear flap before painting

I was thinking about replacing the tines as well
(if they weren't too pricey)
Does anyone have a good aftermarket source for tines?

The JD serial plate says
"Made in Germany for John Deere"
Does anyone know who made Deere tillers
The dealer looked up the serial # - it was made in 2000

Thanks to all for your advice

/ 550 Tiller #6  
You got a great deal. I just last week payed $1484. plus tax for a 5'-king kutter at Farm and home. The manager gave me the sale price. I would have loved to get your deal or any deal. I had looked on Craigslist within 150 miles for months. No deals. Yours looks great. Yesterday I added 15' to the garden for next year it tilled it up fast and clean. I have a 8yd load of rich dirt coming tomarrow. The wife captured about 25' of my garden about ten years ago and it is now all flowers. Looks nice. Maybe you should till an area for you wife for flowers. ----Fuseboxer