Newest addition to my family of tractor implements

/ Newest addition to my family of tractor implements #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hello all,

I asked last week for some advice about getting either a landscape rake or some other implement to rake up grass left over from hogging my field area. I want to thank everyone that offered advice or input. I found every single nugget to be quite valuable.

So I took that information and came to the conclusion that I could not justify the expense of either a pine straw rake, or especially, a landscape rake. In my traditional capacity, I decided that I would build one. I am almost finished, at this point all I have left to do is to get the 3pt attached and it should be ready for its first test demo. Please, let me know what you think--the good, the bad and the ugly.

I have never attached pictures, so bear with me.

SI 2305

CX200. LX4, 5' grader blade, subsoiler, Land Pride 60" RFM, soon to be 72" grass rake

Attachments

• uploads on 9 12 2011 009r.jpg
    uploads on 9 12 2011 009r.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 671
  • uploads on 9 12 2011 010r.jpg
    uploads on 9 12 2011 010r.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 560
  • uploads on 9 12 2011 011r.jpg
    uploads on 9 12 2011 011r.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 516
  • uploads on 9 12 2011 012r.jpg
    uploads on 9 12 2011 012r.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 506
   / Newest addition to my family of tractor implements
A couple more picts

When I decided to make this I thought that 4x4 lumber would be sturdy and easy to work with. I have done my best to make certain that the hanging 4x4 is secure against the two lifting "forks." As it stands now, I need to get the forks attached and a top link connected. Still, though this nay not be pretty, I think it will get the job done.

Thanks for any comment in advance,

SI2305

Attachments

• uploads on 9 12 2011 013r.jpg
    uploads on 9 12 2011 013r.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 626
  • uploads on 9 12 2011 008r.jpg
    uploads on 9 12 2011 008r.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 651
   / Newest addition to my family of tractor implements #3  
Re: A couple more picts

What are you building? Nice shop.----Fuseboxer

/ Newest addition to my family of tractor implements #4  
The steel and springs look good and expensive are you sure you could not have purchased something economical? My question for an engineering perspective why did you choose 4x4 for all. What about stress and need for stronger across the flat. Now that you have come this far do not change to an 6 x 6 across the forks but what about another 4 x 4 across the forks for support. Use lag bolt only save the other hardware. ----Fuseboxer

/ Newest addition to my family of tractor implements #5  
The cut ends need endcoat, you do not have it and it is hard to purchase. The wood treatment is 3/10" inside. The cut end rots out fast at least spray clear sealer on the cuts. Where did you get the steel springs and steel? ---Fuseboxer

Fuseboxer,

Your observations are perfectly fine, but the steel is a piece of black piping that is J-bolted to the 4x4. I bought it at the local farm supply store for I think $6. The springs are a very heavy gauge, dual tine that rises from the tip into a coiled torsion bar, leaves about 6 inches, forms another coil, then ends downward in another tip. I know it sounds complicated, so the simpler version is that it is an inverted "U" with a torsion bar at the top. This was by far and away the most expensive portion of the build and cost just about exactly $50. Yeah, you are right, part of my plan is to do some angled cross bracing for just the reason you mentioned. I think the whole thing is going to cost me about $150. It is not yet completely done (partially for reasons mentioned above), but the general idea is visible and apparent.

SI2305

Fuseboxer,

Actually, my intent was simply to be able to rake up some of the long cuttings that get left over after hogging tall grass. I want to be able to use these in a windrow style compost pile. I have a bad back so raking is not the simple chore it used to be. I used 4x4 for two reasons.

1) it is very affordable.

2) I figured that at 6', it would be overly strong.

thanks for the tip about the end rot, I will come up with something that will address this issue, probably tar and maybe a metal end-cap.

I noticed you saw all the extra bracing at the end--two angle braces and four hurricane clips per arm. These small pieces were put in place to keep the whole assembly steady so I could drill out the holes. Drilling through two 4x4's is tough on the drill, arms, and especially any fine adjustments. I figured that I would keep the hardware in place for added sturdiness--I would rather over-design than under-design.

Thanks for your input,

SI2305

/ Newest addition to my family of tractor implements #8  

Fuseboxer,

thanks for the tip about the end rot, I will come up with something that will address this issue, probably tar and maybe a metal end-cap.

SI2305

You might want to look into a product called 'anchor seal' as it will seal off the end grain. You might have to reapply it occasionally as in your intended application it will wear off over time but that should not be to cumbersome.

/ Newest addition to my family of tractor implements #9  
Last edited:

try "another addition to my implement family"