JD 4630 Won't Start

/ JD 4630 Won't Start #1  

Farmer Frank

Tractor
JD 4630 JD 4020
I changed the oil, started the motor, cheked level, a little high, so I drained the oil filter. The tractor would not start again. It rattled the first attempt, then nothing. When I turned the key as to start, the other gauges would "hump up"(move a little in the opposite direction). I cleaned all the ground and othe connections on cables and starter. I found a small crack on the starter solinoid(Noponso starter and selonoid, Not JD)I orderd a new solinoid. Could this be the problem? I have always had to disconnect the left ground and the hot to the starter or the batteries would discharge. The batteries were charged and showing 14 volts. I was getting 13.8 volts at the starter terminals. Any suggestions? Also I did not mark all the connections on the solinoid when I removed it, does any one have a diagram so I don't short it when I install the new one? It was back ordered and has been over 3 weeks and my memory may not be what I thought it would be when I removed it! :(

/ JD 4630 Won't Start #2  
I have been putting together a general list to answer this question. Hopefully it will give you some places to look.

Nothing happens when you turn the key
- Check battery under load
o Lights dim when turning the key is a classic symptom of a battery going bad.
- Check all starter connections (including grounds) for corrosion and tightness
- Check fuses
- Safety switches (seat, PTO, neutral switch)
- Make sure in Park/Neutral HST pedals in neutral position/centered
- Make sure you have power at the starter/solenoid
- Make sure starter and solenoid working

Starter IS working
- Do not run the start for more than 20 seconds
- Make sure intake is clean
- Do you have smoke coming out of the exhaust
- Water in fuel ?
- Glow plugs not working

No smoke from exhaust not getting fuel
- Make sure you have fuel in the tank
- Loosen fuel cap, tank may not be venting correctly
- Replace fuel filter
- Check fuel line for holes as this can put air in the line
- Check fuel line not clogged (both supply and return)
- Check that fuel tank not clogged at the bottom
- Bleed tractor check manual for how to do this
- Bleed injectors

Smoke from exhaust getting fuel
- Bleed injectors

/ JD 4630 Won't Start
Wow! Sounds like I have some work to do. I'll get going on it. Thank you.:thumbsup:

/ JD 4630 Won't Start #4  
It is not as bad as it looks, just wanted to cover all the bases. Sounds like you have already done a few things, so you can check them off.

Please let us know how it goes.

/ JD 4630 Won't Start #5  
Frank
If your battery voltage is correct,all 6 battery connections are clean & tight then I'd check the neutral(safety) start switch on RH side of trans case for continuity.

/ JD 4630 Won't Start #6  
does anyone know what sort of battery you need for a 4630? i have just bought one but the battery was shot, it only have one and i guess its a 12 volt. any suggestions?

/ JD 4630 Won't Start #7  
Aussie
:welcome:

There are two 6 volt batteries, as listed in jdparts.

TY21735 DRY CHARGED BATTERY QTY 2 6-VOLT, 850 COLD CRANKING AMPS AT -18°C (0°F), 280 MINUTE RESERVE CAPACITY AT 25 AMPS, (SUB FOR AR47455 OR TY6119)

Maybe there has been some tinkering to change to a 12v system. ??

/ JD 4630 Won't Start
My 4630 has two 12 volt batteries, one on each side. Mine wouldn't start because there was a short in the starter. BTW, those two batteries need to be fully charged and all hot and ground connections very clean. She will "snort" if she has plenty of umph.....