2305 starting issue.

/ 2305 starting issue. #1  

netwayne

Bronze Member
Well first off, I will admit this issue is self inflicted.

Was hosing off the tractor (it had ran for about 5 mins a little prior to the hosing) for it's trip to the local dealer to get the new FEL and apparently I was a little overzealous with the water underneath by the rear tires and now the thing won't start. Not even turning over but do have a different sound that last for 5 secs if that when I turn the key and it sounds like it is coming from under the dashboard area. The tractor has been sitting for 4 hours and I am about to go around with some compressed air and open up any of the electrical connections underneath that I can find and try and dry stuff up. Hoping I didn't short something out.

Anybody experience anything like this before?

/ 2305 starting issue. #2  
Is really easy to blow off the neutral start connection leads when p-washing off 2000 series tractors.

/ 2305 starting issue.
I was just using a hose, not pressure washing but I will have to look for that specific connection you mentioned. By the way, the noise I am hearing when I turn the key to start last for about 3 secs maybe and seems to be coming from below the dash down where my left foot sits on the brake pedal. There is a little rubber cover to the right of where my left foot sits and when I remove that cover I see an aluminum looking....kinda looks like the outside of a cylinder head with fins....I actually put my fingers on it when I last tried the key and can feel it get charged or something....might be the issue. Gonna have to pull out the manuals.

/ 2305 starting issue. #4  
That's strange, been hosing and power washing my 2210 for almost 7 years and never had any issue.

/ 2305 starting issue.
Yeah I haven't had any issue in the 3 years we've had this. We recently had a lot of rain so the tires were pretty caked with mud and horse manure. I was hitting the underside of the rear wheel wells which is something I haven't really done before. Maybe water was being deflected to some spot containing some electrical connections is all I can think of. I just tried it again and still get the same sound, not sure if it is ignition or solenoid but not turning over. I had a planned visit to the dealer anyway for the new FEL so I will have them look at it. Keeping my fingers crossed it is something minor as we are already shelling out some big $$$ for the FEL and ballast box combo.

/ 2305 starting issue. #6  
This may sound funny but do a load test on the battery. There is a good chance it has a short and needs replaced. And that is just how they go out sometimes. Working just fine one minute and dead to the world the next minute.

/ 2305 starting issue.
Load tested the battery this morning and it was bad. Picked up a new Napa (deka) and put that in after load testing it. Still have the issue. I guess I must have shorted something out in the electrical system. Well, as I said at the beginning of this, I was on my way to the dealer anyway for a new FEL so will be adding this to the list and keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies!

Note to self.....go easy on the hosing when spraying areas that may contain electrical connections...DOH!!

/ 2305 starting issue. #8  
Please keep us updated on this. I hose mine regularly the way you did, but never had problem. If it is a problem cause by water, it sure be nice to know. :)

/ 2305 starting issue.
So I get it over to the dealer and the guy jumps on the tractor and starts engaging and disengaging things like the brake, the PTO button and notices the tractor is not in neutral. Puts it in neutral and it starts right up. So I felt like a big dummy at that point. I guess when I got the tractor on the trailer, I set the brake and also put it in gear. Then I replaced the battery and when I went to start it, it wouldn't start because it was in gear (which I didn't realize at the time). I guess I got distracted by the noise of the solenoid or whatever it was which probably is there normally but you don't notice it when the starter is trying to turn the engine over. I think this whole situation may have just been a dead battery (original) which by the way, only lasted about 3 years and probably only 80 or so hours on the tractor. The timing of the battery going dead right after I hosed the tractor, is what threw me off I guess

I did ask the dealer to still check out the electrical system while they have it for the FEL install but I suspect all is well.

Last edited:
   / 2305 starting issue. #10  
We've all be there. Don't feel bad.