Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    john deere 2040 kubota b3030

Default John deere 2040 help PLEASE!

Hey guys, i have a early 80's late 70's john deere 2040. Its been sitting outside for about a year and hasn't been started since. I just went out today, replaced both batteries, had the starter checked by a local armature shop, and it still wont start. I need to hotwire it to start it because somebody, i have no idea who, unplugged all the wires and i havent had time to put them in correctly. But basically i went out today, tried to fire it up, and when i hotwired it, all i got was sparks? it didn't even turn over, just sparked? Thanks!

Tractor
    two john deere Sabres (2554-Scotts) and 4410 john deere ,Allis Chalmers WD , 5' Cub Cadet Zero turn

Default Re: John deere 2040 help PLEASE!

Sparks cause fuses to blow. You have to put the wiring back together correctly. If it is a few wires is a neighbor or friend have the same or similar tractor that you can take digital pictures and help to reconnect the problem. Service manuals are nice but you need some technical skill. Pictures are worth a thousand words. I peeked at a similar tractor to mine to see how to put the spring on the fuel door. Spent an hour of failure and one peek and I had success.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Ya well by "hotwiring" it, im not actually touching 2 wires together, im putting a screwdriver on 2 different bolts to the starter. Would yhat make a difference? Thanks

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Sounds as if you're not touching screwdriver to large battery cable post and small "S" post on solenoid correctly. What not just tow start it and save the "SPARKS"

Jumping across starter solenoid post is very dangerous and many people have been killed or crippled do such a thing.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

The guy who'd help me is very busy, and last week we got out there to try and get it running, but he forgot chains, so we didn't have anything that wouldn't brake when we'd try and pull start it. Luckly, a guy is sending me a picture of his ignition wiring diagram so i can figure out where all the wires are correctly, so i can use the key to start it again

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Here it is... No the hood is not bent, its just not fully on since im still working on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -forumrunner_20110923_160218-png  
    Last edited by kshunter; 09-23-2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Forgot a few things

Tractor
    Ford/NH, Kubota

Good lookin tractor, Shes beggin to go to work! Alright got some pics of the ignition! It's still knida hard to make out, I just shoved my iPhone down in the batt box. I hope you can make out what goes where. Hope you get it going, great little tractor! I just got my decals and emblem put on today while I was at it. I've got that tech manual too if you need help with any other issues. Keep us posted!
    Btw, your tractor looks like a early 2040 with the exhaust under the left floorboard, like mine. I like their sloped hood better than the later ones!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-3778286967-png   -image-54786943-png   -image-3872266773-png   -image-3918740166-png  
    '95 Ford/NH 3930 mfwd
    '83 Ford 3610
    '94 Kubota B7100 mfwd HST
    '14 Ferris is700 61" Vanguard BB

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Thats exactly what i need thanks its perfect. Ill try to go out and put the wires together tomorrow. Thanks!

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by dntfxr View Post
    Good lookin tractor, Shes beggin to go to work! Alright got some pics of the ignition! It's still knida hard to make out, I just shoved my iPhone down in the batt box. I hope you can make out what goes where. Hope you get it going, great little tractor! I just got my decals and emblem put on today while I was at it. I've got that tech manual too if you need help with any other issues. Keep us posted!
    Btw, your tractor looks like a early 2040 with the exhaust under the left floorboard, like mine. I like their sloped hood better than the later ones!

dntfxr, The new paint and decals look great How about some more pics

Bronze Member
    Tractor

I think it is, the exhaust used to run out the hood, but the guy who use to use it for us ran the exhaust under the floor boards so he wouldn't be high when he got home from a days work in the field from all that diesel smoke haha. And do you mean do i want more pics of yours? or you want more pics of mine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast