Mowing John Deere 2305 repair mower lift adjustment for repair

/ John Deere 2305 repair mower lift adjustment for repair #1  

Gilbert McKinney

Tractor
John Deere 2305
Is is necessary to remove the fenders and floorboard on my John Deere 2305 to repair the lift apparatus for my mower? What is the best method of removing the fenders, roll bar and floorboard with instructions and schematic.

/ John Deere 2305 repair mower lift adjustment for repair #3  
Do you have the 3pt lift (I suspect you do if you're talking about fenders) or the independent?

Many people have thought they would need to remove the deck to service 2305 mower lift issues but were pleasantly surprised to find out it wasn't necessary.

/ John Deere 2305 repair mower lift adjustment for repair
The lift will not hold the mower deck up to the level that I want to mow the grass. It does not stay where I adjust it. It keeps dropping all the way down slowly. It seems like the adjustment knob is off center of the hole.

/ John Deere 2305 repair mower lift adjustment for repair #5  
Regardless of the type of lift, he's the proper procedure for setting the deck height:

Raise the deck.
Turn the knob to the height you want.
Lower the deck until it hits the stops.

At this point, even if you lose all hydraulic fluid, the deck shouldn't move.

A few questions about your deck height knob:
Is your knob loose if you grab it and wiggle it? If not, it's probably not properly secured to the floorboards. Get underneath and look up and tighten the bolts that hold the adjustment knob frame to the floorboards.

Is your knob shaft perpendicular to the floorboards? if not, see above.

When the deck is fully raised, is your knob able to turn 360 degrees? If not, your deck isn't coming all the way up. You'll probably need to tighten the turnbuckles and/or the front yoke.

/ John Deere 2305 repair mower lift adjustment for repair #6  
The lift will not hold the mower deck up to the level that I want to mow the grass. It does not stay where I adjust it. It keeps dropping all the way down slowly. It seems like the adjustment knob is off center of the hole.

Sounds like you have the IL (independent lift) setup that uses a hydraulic cylinder to raise the deck? Well, NONE of them "hold" the deck up, they all leak down unfortunately. You need to use the knob to hold it at the proper cutting height. You can adjust this system from under the tractor with the deck removed. There are MANY threads on this if you search some...