5085M

/ 5085M #1  

veggiefarmer

Tractor
2009 massey 1643
just a note see posting under ag tractors, transmisson mid shafts are breaking. dealer already has repaired 15 tractors.

/ 5085M #2  
Thanks for the info good to keep the member informed. I do not know it the shaft has any greese fittings hidden inside a universal joint but if it does a neddle grease gun fitting with lube would save big bucks.

I was told that at times U-joints do not show in JD owners manuals as grease joint points. Some have gease zerks some do not. Cars years ago were similar. The joints with zerks were the aftermarket, replaced, joints.

/ 5085M #3  
Ouch----The tractors are NEW not something needing a grease. 2008- 2011 production

/ 5085M #4  
I have spent some time crawling around my 5075M - looking for loose bolts, etc. - and noted the exposed mid-shaft between the engine and the transmission.

I'm assuming that the 5085M has a similar configuration. The driveline shaft is arranged between two sliding collars at each end - the transmission on the rear and the clutch housing/engine on the other end.

Because it is exposed, it would be vunerable to entangling with twine, rope, wire, or grass and weeds - IMO.

That may be a factor in the problems currently experienced by some owner's.

AKfish