John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem #1  

baustin

Tractor
John Deere 2040
I inherited a John Deere 2040 (80s model) and let someone use it. Love it and loved working it as a kid but now it is mine to maintain which Dad always did:):) So, after loaning it out ....the hydraulics will no longer work for the aftermarket installed front-end loader and the three point hitch. The differential lock petal below the seat on the left side appears to be much looser than normal but this should not affect the hydraulics. Any ideas on the hydraulics. I can not even move the tractor because there is NO HYDRAULIC and the loader will not lift up at all. But the fluid on the stick says full :):) Thanks for any help and have a great day...I looked for a manual online put I could not find one so I am asking. Thx ps: Does anyone have a pdf of the owners manual or know where I could purchase on on-line? Also how to I unlock the differential lock...

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem #2  
Sounds like one of the hydraulic quick disconnections is not connected properly. Check all your connections. Some can be difficult to disconnect or reconnect because of pressure build up.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem #3  
Getting the diff lock unlocked will be a good idea, as the tractor is likely hard to steer if locked.

Here is a pic of the parts, and assume it looks like what you have.
Maybe the spring is broken and needs to be manually moved back to unlock.

Attachments

• 2040_diff_lock.JPG
    2040_diff_lock.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 997
   / John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem #4  
Sounds like one of the hydraulic quick disconnections is not connected properly. Check all your connections. Some can be difficult to disconnect or reconnect because of pressure build up.

Wouldn't think so. If he had a bad connection, it still shouldn't affect the lost of his 3PH. I am not familiar with the 2040, but it seem like he has lost all hydraulic pressure which would indicate a HD pump failure, or a clog filter if so equip.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem #5  
I would check the hyd pump up front. I would think if you had a clogged screen it would at least squeal or something. Does the power steering still work? I have a service manual if you need any info from it.

/ John Deere 2040 Hydraulic Problem #6  
How long since hyd filter was changed and sump screen cleaned?? What's the tractor serial number? There are 2 types of hyd systems(open vs closed) which are totally different on the 2040's. It could be the frt hyd coupler is the problem.