3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!!

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #1  

nunyabinis

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere
While pushing a couple of tree limbs into the edge of the woods something went "pop". I stopped and started backing up and something didn't feel "right". I looked down and the right front wheel was turned 90 degrees to the right. The whole wheel assembly had come loose and "fallen" from the front axle. I was at the Hunt Club with no access to large tools so I called the nearest Deere Dealer who, to their credit, got a mechanic on site in the middle of nowhere within two hours.

The wheel assembly is held on by a large snap ring. The snap ring seems to have either snapped in half or come out of it's groove and fallen into the wheel drive gears. Both bearings on that wheel and all the seals will have to be replaced. I am VERY frustrated. This machine only has 269 hours on it.

Has anyone else either seen or heard of this? I asked the Service Manager to please check with Deere to see if there are any Technical Service Bulletins or Tech Alerts that address this issue. I've had the machine for 2.5 years so it's technically out of warranty.

Thoughts?

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #2  
Wow that's a bummer. I've never heard of that problem before but then again I'm not very familiar with that type of tractor.

Good luck. I hope Deere makes right for u!

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #3  
I'm sure glad you weren't on the road meeting a Mack truck. That could make steering a little squirrely. Snap ring to hold a wheel on? I would think Deer and co. might consider taking a second look with that issue because of liability.

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #4  
I have not heard of this before but I'm sure someone out there has and hope that you get a response. I think you are approaching it correctly at this point and see what you learn. Do the inspection yourself to the otherside and attempt to understand what happened and why it happened. I would presume that a qualified JD technician will be able to help in discovering how this may have happened.

This is why it is so important to know your equipment and do regular inspections as well as maintenance. Would a visual inspection have detected such a situation? Very possible but you don't know.

I see too many people with this equipment and either don't service it properly or don't really appreciate the care that it takes to foresee an issue. We all learn something new everyday.

Look forward to hearing an update.

Best luck.

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!!
I think that I was not specific enough. The entire spindle/hub assembly fell off. This also has the wheel/tire attached to it. The snap ring that failed is INSIDE the spindle/hub assembly.

At the bottom of the attached photo, the snap ring that failed is #2. As you can see, this snap ring holds the ENTIRE wheel/spindle/hub assembly to the axle (the axle is the large un-numbered assembly at the top of the photo).

Thinking that a simple snap ring was not the sturdiest method of holding the spindle/hub onto the axle, I looked at the 3520 parts break down and although the 3520's spindle/hub assembly is quite different from the 3038e, it too is held onto the axle by a single snap ring.

Last edited:
   / 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #6  
I think that I was not specific enough. The entire spindle/hub assembly fell off. This also has the wheel/tire attached to it. The snap ring that failed is INSIDE the spindle/hub assembly.

At the bottom of the attached photo, the snap ring that failed is #2. As you can see, this snap ring holds the ENTIRE wheel/spindle/hub assembly to the axle (the axle is the large un-numbered assembly at the top of the photo).

Thinking that a simple snap ring was not the sturdiest method of holding the spindle/hub onto the axle, I looked at the 3520 parts break down and although the 3520's spindle/hub assembly is quite different from the 3038e, it too is held onto the axle by a single snap ring.

Wow what a mess. I bet the snap ring may have failed. Not sure how this assembly is put together on other tractors. I agree a snap ring doesn't seem like the best application. Or if it is used... it should not be holding any loading... maybe something else failed... causing the snap ring to fail? :confused:

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #7  
It would surprise me that Deere doesn't take care of the failure for you.
Unless there are signs of abuse, as it doesn't seem possible that just a snap ring is there to hold it together. Appreciate the schematic of the part drawing as it helps to understand which part failed.
Hope you get back in business soon.

/ 3038e Front Wheel Assy Fell Off!!! #8  
All the snap ring is holding is the weight of the gearcase/hub/wheel when the front of the tractor is lifted off the ground. 95% of it's life it isn't under any load. The most load it sees it what, 40-50lbs?

It was more than likely just a defective part that finally let go. Probably will never happen again. The axle on the front of the 3032e/3038e tractors looks very similar to those used on the 755, 855, 955 etc which is a very proven chassis. Not sure if it is the same, but from my memory they are pretty similar. Fix it, use it, and don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

You are correct Vertical. There is normally no weight/pressure on the snap ring. The exception is when the tractor is in four wheel drive. When in 4x4 the angle cut gears in the hub try to force the assembly apart and the only thing keeping that from happening is that one snap ring.

I'm hoping that the snap ring was not fully seated in it's groove at the factory and just finally let go. Time will tell.

Just got the news:

No Tech Service Bulletins regarding this issue
Out of warranty
$500

There goes the baby's new pair of shoes.