Backhoe john deere 310 d

/ john deere 310 d #1  

danny223

Tractor
john deere 310 d
Steering problems. have to turn wheel several times for it to turn and then the wheel go back straight on their own. Any ideas of what might be the problem?

/ john deere 310 d #2  
My JD expertize is with AG tractors but my guess is if this(AT168632 KIT, SEAL ADD 24.22 USD) won't repair the problem then you'll need this AT318271 VALVE,STEERING ADD 1,207.51 USD. From viewing parts catalog the seal kit is the only parts I saw available for steering valve.

/ john deere 310 d
Seal kit did not fix it. Looking for replacemnet steering valve now.

/ john deere 310 d #4  
Sounds like you've narrowed the problem down... that's good!

Not intending to derail the OP's thread but I've got an additional question for Tx Jim and other "technical" posters - can the steering valve be rebuilt?

Having to shell out ~$1,300 plus shipping, plus the time and labor to install --- how about pulling the old valve and getting it reworked?

AKfish

/ john deere 310 d #5  
Yes the steering valve can be rebuilt. The tricky part on those Dubuque/Mannheim steering valves is getting the 6 larger o-rings in the "correct grooves" and being sure the 2 valve operating bodies are "shimmed correctly".
Years ago I had a customer that bought an 820 open-center,manual steering tractor and then decided he wanted to install a frt end loader. Then he wanted power steering which wasn't available as a kit. I ordered all the necessary parts,assembled the unit and installed it. It even worked correctly.