Just bought a JD 2020...

/ Just bought a JD 2020... #1  

tech141

Bronze Member
Belleville, IL.... for now. 60 acres just South o
Tractor
JD 2020 with FEL
Yep - I just bought a JD 2020 with a FEL. Everything seems to work ok, and the hydraulics are very strong. The engine starts right up, and pulls strong. Sure there are a few small hydraulic line drips, but nothing that makes me feel queasy.
Question - What should I be on the lookout for? Are there any inherent problems with the JD 2020 line?

First chance I get I'll be doing a complete fluid/filter/lube service on this beast. Just have to find the service and Owners manuals for it.

I'm anticipating that this beast will provide quality service for quite a while.

JD2020Tractor005.jpg

JD2020Tractor001.jpg

JD2020Tractor004.jpg

Last edited:
   / Just bought a JD 2020... #2  
Nice looking 2020. I see it has telescoping draft links,rear weights,flat top fenders and I think larger 36" or 38" rear tires. When you change hyd filter check sump screen for cleanliness.

/ Just bought a JD 2020... #3  
Looks good to me.:thumbsup: I think I would power wash it first and then start fixing the leaks of consequence. Hope it works out to be a good tractor for you.

/ Just bought a JD 2020... #4  
Nice looking tractor. It appears to me that the hood and front nose are actually from a 301 or 401 industrial. They were the same machine essentially. A few heavier duty items-such as the cast iron front nose and probably heavier front axle. The loader appears to be a model 48 - a real workhorse!

/ Just bought a JD 2020...
Thanks for the helpful and positive responses. Took it out to the property in Mo today and ran it through it's paces. Seems very solid and everything seems to work. Now I just have to find a good, used 7' brush hog and get to cutting.

A question about fuel...
Since this is most likely a '72/'73 model, it was built to run on leaded gas. Unless the valves have been changed to stainless, running unleaded gas in it will eventually destroy the valves (If I remember the science correctly). Is there a "Lead Additive" available that I can add to the Unleaded gas for proper operation?

/ Just bought a JD 2020... #7  
You can buy lead substitutes from most parts houses for this purpose.

I need to mention that your tie down arrangement for the tractor on the trailer is dangerous. You need to come up with a better method which will restrain the movement of the tractor forward, aft and sideways. Use a four point tiedown with more angle to the tie points. Your front tie downs pictured are almost vertical, your rear strap allows the tractor to slide sideways and doesn't keep the tractor from moving forward well enough.

Trailer looks to be too small for the tractor, hate to see someone hurt or killed by this.

You can buy lead substitutes from most parts houses for this purpose.

I need to mention that your tie down arrangement for the tractor on the trailer is dangerous. You need to come up with a better method which will restrain the movement of the tractor forward, aft and sideways. Use a four point tiedown with more angle to the tie points. Your front tie downs pictured are almost vertical, your rear strap allows the tractor to slide sideways and doesn't keep the tractor from moving forward well enough.

Trailer looks to be too small for the tractor, hate to see someone hurt or killed by this.

Thanks for your critique on the tiedowns. As it turns out you were absolutely correct. We ended up changing the strapping locations pretty soon after starting down the road yesterday.
And yes, the trailer was most likely overloaded by 1000 pounds. We babied it and were able to get the tractor to our property without any damage to the trailer or anyone else.

WOO HOO!!!!! Was finally able to get some seat time last weekend and run the tractor through it's paces out on the property. I leveled out the entrance from the road (has a serious rut which made entering the property very 'Bouncy' as my daughter called it). Then I went and knocked down/uprooted some honey locust trees. Cool beans!
Problem though - The tractor was missing the three-point top-link, so I went and bought one from TSC. Well, the JD 2020 is supposed to be a Cat II Three-point, but the top-link attachment on my tractor is a Cat 1 (3/4" pin diameter). I am now not 100% sure that this is a 2020, as the 2020 is a Cat II machine. When we head out to the property next weekend I REALLY need to find the "Tractor" serial number...
Anyway, the wife took some pics when we were out there....

22 Oct 2011 Trip pictures by tech1411 - Photobucket

22Oct2011visit035.jpg

22Oct2011visit023.jpg

22Oct2011visit029.jpg

22Oct2011visit001.jpg