Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #1  

bonefish101

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2720 w/200CX
I've been out of town for a month and need to cut grass. The field is not so saturated that I would tear it up but the grass is definitely wet. I always heard that you shouldn't cut wet grass, does that just refer to a push mower? I'll be mowin on the 2720 with my rfm.

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #2  
Your mother called from a small island and stated you were taught to cut in afternoon when the lawn cut better does not clump as bad and does not stick under the mower as much. You better plan on cutting on high after waiting a month to cut, may have to rake.

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #3  
I do that all the time as we often travel during the summer with our RV. Do wait till sun come up for a few hours before cutting, it will clump just because it is so high.You may have to go over once more but no matter what you will be raking.
DevilDog

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #4  
sometimes you just do what you gotta do with todays society time restraints. In my case, my yard is on bottom of the bowl and my nighbors would be mowing first, but I have to wait before mowing due to all the standing water or it will ruin yard looks. I just mow when soil is firm enough to hold my BX tractor weight without squishing turf making tire tracks, but still mowing in water. :(

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #5  
Sure I have mowed with my Rear Finish Mower when the grass was high and wet...but I just mow a bit higher. Remember if it has been a month that grass is high and you are using a RF not a bush hog..so you don't want to burn up your belt...so you want a higher cut for that reason alone and with it being wet that is just another reason to go for a little higher cut...I never bother to rake mine...it dries out and I get it the next time I cut and that way the lawn gets the nutrients..

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #6  
I agree with Brin, cut it high, skip raking away the nutrients, cut again after the clippings have a chance to dry out on top. Not a good idea to cut it too low as you will be cutting to much of the plant stem away at one time. If it were me I would give it a week before cutting again this time of year.

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #7  
All good answers so far!!
My addition is a warning...wet grass and slopes are not a good combination for a tractor. Use extreme caution...wet grass can be slick as greased owl crap...and you can slide pretty easily.

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #8  
Clean under the deck before cutting and plan to clean it after you are done. You might want to make a few initial passes perpendicular to your direction of cutting. This way when you pass over this already cut areas it gives the mower a chance to clean itself out.

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #9  
I work 60 and 70 hour weeks all summer, so I mow on the weekends rain or shine.

/ Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass #10  
Clean under the deck before cutting and plan to clean it after you are done. You might want to make a few initial passes perpendicular to your direction of cutting. This way when you pass over this already cut areas it gives the mower a chance to clean itself out.

JD5210 - that is a great tip....and it works really well...I hope he sees your post and does it...:thumbsup: