Tractor
    JD 2720 w/200CX

Default Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass

I've been out of town for a month and need to cut grass. The field is not so saturated that I would tear it up but the grass is definitely wet. I always heard that you shouldn't cut wet grass, does that just refer to a push mower? I'll be mowin on the 2720 with my rfm.

Tractor
    two john deere Sabres (2554-Scotts) and 4410 john deere ,Allis Chalmers WD , 5' Cub Cadet Zero turn

Default Re: Thoughts and opinions: mowing wet grass

Your mother called from a small island and stated you were taught to cut in afternoon when the lawn cut better does not clump as bad and does not stick under the mower as much. You better plan on cutting on high after waiting a month to cut, may have to rake.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Grand L 3540 HST-3, R4's

I do that all the time as we often travel during the summer with our RV. Do wait till sun come up for a few hours before cutting, it will clump just because it is so high.You may have to go over once more but no matter what you will be raking.
    DevilDog
    He is your Friend, Your Partner, Your Defender, Your Dog. You Are His Life, His Love, His Leader. He Will Be Yours, Faithful And True, To The Last Beat Of His Heart. ...Unknown

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

sometimes you just do what you gotta do with todays society time restraints. In my case, my yard is on bottom of the bowl and my nighbors would be mowing first, but I have to wait before mowing due to all the standing water or it will ruin yard looks. I just mow when soil is firm enough to hold my BX tractor weight without squishing turf making tire tracks, but still mowing in water.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Sure I have mowed with my Rear Finish Mower when the grass was high and wet...but I just mow a bit higher. Remember if it has been a month that grass is high and you are using a RF not a bush hog..so you don't want to burn up your belt...so you want a higher cut for that reason alone and with it being wet that is just another reason to go for a little higher cut...I never bother to rake mine...it dries out and I get it the next time I cut and that way the lawn gets the nutrients..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I agree with Brin, cut it high, skip raking away the nutrients, cut again after the clippings have a chance to dry out on top. Not a good idea to cut it too low as you will be cutting to much of the plant stem away at one time. If it were me I would give it a week before cutting again this time of year.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

All good answers so far!!
    My addition is a warning...wet grass and slopes are not a good combination for a tractor. Use extreme caution...wet grass can be slick as greased owl crap...and you can slide pretty easily.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    5210 MFWD

Clean under the deck before cutting and plan to clean it after you are done. You might want to make a few initial passes perpendicular to your direction of cutting. This way when you pass over this already cut areas it gives the mower a chance to clean itself out.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

I work 60 and 70 hour weeks all summer, so I mow on the weekends rain or shine.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by JD5210 View Post
    Clean under the deck before cutting and plan to clean it after you are done. You might want to make a few initial passes perpendicular to your direction of cutting. This way when you pass over this already cut areas it gives the mower a chance to clean itself out.
    JD5210 - that is a great tip....and it works really well...I hope he sees your post and does it...
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder