leaf collection

/ leaf collection #1  

SI2305

Gold Member
Hi all,

I am getting ready for some fall cleanup, particularly leaf collection. Due to my back issues and a recent bout of pneumonia, I am severely physically compromised. My recent hospitalization has all but ruled out all but the cheapest of options. I have been looking at leaf blowers (not the handheld type) and especially something like a truck loader. From what I can find on the internet, all of these type of options cost thousands that I do not have. I do own a troy-built hand held blower-vac that I thought of converting into a poor man's truck loader, but I wonder what others might have in mind.

I do have some lengths of 4" black piping that might be slit enough to fit the suction end of the blower but I know that it will not be a nice sealed fit. I don't know if this will be an issue, but I would appreciate any input.

SI2305

/ leaf collection #2  
How many acres of leaves to remove?
What type of truck are you thinking of loading?
What is your limit on cost?
What is the blower that you mention? Brand/model/pic?

I've used a Deere MC519 cart for the last 15 years, so the cost per year is quite low. Just drive, ride, and use hydraulic dump into the woods or on a trailer on about 4-5 acres of leaf area. Usually do leaves 3-4 times as they build up.

Sorry to hear about the dilema, and may be the time to hire it done until things improve.

/ leaf collection
Beenthere,

I am only clearing about an acre at the most. I have a leaf blower/vac, Troy built. Its not a super machine, but it does its basic job OK. My thought was to attach it to my 8' trailer that I will be pulling with my JD2305. Normally, the leaf vac does a decent job of hauling up leaves, but the bagging attachment is quite limiting for all but the smallest of piles. My thought was to bungee the leaf vac to the trailer, replace the normal vac attachment with a longer, more flexible piece of 4" black corrugated tubing and rake the leaves (previously arranged into either piles or windrows) into the tube opening. On the outlet side I would leave the bagging in place, but leave it unzipped so as to control the discharge.

My concerns:

1) will the corrugated nature of the piping cause the leaves to bunch up?

2) due to my recent illness, I don't have a lot of money to spend so every cent I can derive from home is more important than ever before. My tubing is slotted. The slots are really more like 1" long slits, but I am still thinking about leaking airflow. Will this be an issue over say 6' of tubing that is lifting leaves perhaps 4' high before shredding and discharge.

I appreciate your input and your concern over my health. Thanks.

SI2305

/ leaf collection #4  
In a pinch like this I would save my energy and just mow and remow over the leaves with the mower. Let the wind take care of the mulched leaves and what doesn't blow away, will provide nutrients for next year. Then things can get better. :)

I don't see a good way to make the blower vac work well with the corrugated tubing. But may be worth a go at it just to be sure. Just sounds like a real good workout to me.

/ leaf collection #6  
beenthere said:
...Let the wind take care of the mulched leaves and what doesn't blow away, will provide nutrients for next year. Then things can get better. :)

Ditto this one. Don't expend energy getting rid of quality soil nutrients.
Mike

/ leaf collection #7  
I put a mulch kit on my mower which does a decent job of breaking up the leaves, much easier than carting them around.

/ leaf collection #8  
I dunno what a mulch kit is for a mower, but I do know if you take a piece of 1/8" plate and secure it so as to cover the discharge on your mower it will mulch the leaves to little bits of nothing.

I dont recomend if you are not sure what you are doing but if you are handy around your garage this may be a cheap option.

best regards and hope your health improves
Eric

/ leaf collection
Ok, I think I should make my intentions clear,

I actually "harvest" leaves from my very friendly neighbor's yard. If they do not get picked up, they clog the inadequate ditches in our hilly countryside and the road takes a beating, to say nothing of the danger of driving on wet leaves driven onto the road by heavy rains. I also get to harvest his pine needles for my blueberries.

I also actively use the leaves/clippings in my compost piles and garden beds which I would like to get back up to speed this summer. I have found no better nutrient source for my garden than a nice layer of leaves that helps keep the weeds down and the worms happy and the soil moist. To me, leaves are a resource and I hate to see them wash away or get burned.

With that established, I did a little searching around the house and found a few odds and ends that I think can be used to mount my little leaf blower-vac. Due to my maladies I plan on using the blower far more than in the past (usually I would just rake) in order to collect the leaves into a collection. At that point I am thinking I can mount the vac, attach the tubing (I might be able to cover those annoying slits after all) and rake material towards the 4" opening. My main concern is whether I will have enough suction to move leaves through a 6' long rough surface and move it up about 4' high. If this works, I have a truck loader for the price of a role of duct tape. If not, well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I still plan on making this modification--its just in my blood & bones to make/invent/fix things--but having people to bounce ideas off of is immensely helpful in the creative process. On another note, whatever my health is, this is something I enjoy doing so anything that will help that helps me.

As always, thanks to all for any and all advice/tips/ and shared stories. That, after all is what this forum is all about.

Thanks to all,

SI2305

/ leaf collection #10  
EMB5530 said:
I dunno what a mulch kit is for a mower, but I do know if you take a piece of 1/8" plate and secure it so as to cover the discharge on your mower it will mulch the leaves to little bits of nothing.

That's pretty much exactly what JD gives you the 'opportunity' to pay a couple hundred bucks for...