Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #1  

scottbjd

Tractor
John Deere 4520
I've seen several posts regarding this issue and wasn't sure where to post - so I just threw it in here.

Just wanted to chime in and let folks know I own a MX6 Brushog, a year or two old, and a few days ago the main shaft busted in two and the stump jumper and blades fell out of the bottom of the bush hog. I am presently arguing with my local dealer as to how to get it repaired as they are claiming John Deere is not willing to fix it for free. About a $1600.00 repair!

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #2  
I also own one in the danger zone, but so far no problems. What were you cutting when it broke?

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #3  
Is it a certain year MX6 or all years in danger? I can only see a partial serial number on mine and I bought it used in 2008.

Larry

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #4  
scott
:welcome:

We don't know much about why or how it broke. And likely the Deere dealer doesn't either.
Can you cross reference or link to the other similar failures?

Also, some interest in what you were brush hogging, as well as what tractor you were using would be helpful to know.

Looking for a way to be sympathetic to your dilema. That is a big hunk 'o change.

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #5  
I know of a case where a man borrowed an MX6 last year to bushog a deer field and he said he noticed a change in the tractor's rpm and looked back to see the stump jumper and blades on the ground. It is my understanding the local John Deere dealer helped them with the cost of repair, but I don't know any details.

Larry

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure
Tractor is a JD 4520.
I was cutting 8" tall GRASS when the bottom fell out (just like deere36 story)
This is my first (well, second) post on this forum, I don't know my way around, but I will try to find cross posts.
We had some balance problems from the start with this cutter - went back to the dealer twice. When I called him about the recent problem service manager aknowledged that they were aware of this issue, there were problems with certain serial numbers (bad steel shafts), assurred me it was "probably" a defect, and not a problem. They came and got it, and then called back to say it did not "fall within those bad serial numbers".
Now, of course, I don't have it on hand to tell you if it was chinese or spanish, or what the serial number was. I understand it was the units made in spain that had trouble.
This Bushog HAS had some use. Hit some rocks etc - has several 1/2" dents in the cover from rocks (we are in the ozarks; there is more rock than soil). But the day the bottom fell out I was mowing grass. I backed up, went forward and saw the stump jumper laying on the ground. No noise, no bang, no hit. The shaft looks broken exactly like the one pictured in the other post (I'll try to find it).
@Greasemonkey: You mentioned you have one in the "danger zone". What is the "dangerzone"? Do you know the range of bad serial numbers?

Last edited:
   / Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #8  
I also have a 4520 Power reverser with MX6 rotory mower.And live in the Ozarks. And used the rotary mower for a good deal of clearing the brush on 30 acres of dozer cleared land after a tornado. Then in reading some of the former posts asked my J.D. Dealer about this problem he assured me only some had the shaft that was defective. Decided to park the thing. attach to a 20 year old bush hog that has had the gear box rebuilt and all the dings rewelded then went back to clearing brush with the knowledge I will not have a problem that costs more than a new bush hog brand of a rotary cutter.. John Deere wasn't smart in allowing this kind of negitive advertisement.
ken

/ Another MX6 Brush Hog Failure #9  
Have any photos of the failure point?