Snow JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it?

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #1  

cast_and_blast

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2305
Hello from not-snowing-yet Minnesota!

Just ordered a Original Tractor Cab for my JD 2305, been blowing snow without it for 4 years and finally decided that enough was enough. Last winter in MN was especially snowy and it pushed me over the edge. Got the cab, safety glass windshield and electric wiper and will be working over the next couple of weeks to get them installed. Curtis Cab was more of a "permenant" install than I wanted - I'll be taking the cab off in the Spring every year.

3 questions:

1. I've read the stories of difficult installations of the Cab- any tips or suggestions?

2. I want to add a heater and have pretty much dismissed any electric only heater or in-cab propane heaters - I think the best solution is to use the heat from the liquid cooled diesel. To that end, I've found a heater that I'm iterested in here: Model 4000 Heater
Are others using something similar and, if so, how did you mount yours with the Original Tractor Cab? I was thinking I would install on the left side and run the heater hoses through the oversize slot for the brake pedal. Just not sure what I could mount the heater on or to?

3. Also want to add at least 2 forward cab-mounted LED lights (probably 1 rear facing too) along with switches for them. I've seen the LED's from Northern Tool for $40 each - are they bright enough and are they decent quality? Any other reasonably priced LED's that folks recommend and/or have had good luck with?

Thanks for your help and advice!

Scott

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #2  
I can't speak to the heater, but I bought the Northern Tool LED light for $40.00 and it's really lousy. It throws very little light. In frustration, I spent three times that to get this one:

SoundOff Signal EWLC1400TBDF0W 5" Rectangular LED 1400 Lumen Flood Light

It's $120.00 from Amazon, but it's really bright, yet uses only 3 amps. You only need one for the front and one for the back. I'm very happy with it and have since forgotten the price because it works so well. It's supposedly often used to light the sand chute on snowplow trucks.

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #3  
I would think whatever heater core fan box you choose needs to be configured so that you can point the louvers towards the windhield as best possible.

Good luck with the project.:)

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #4  
I can't speak to the heater, but I bought the Northern Tool LED light for $40.00 and it's really lousy. It throws very little light. In frustration, I spent three times that to get this one:

SoundOff Signal EWLC1400TBDF0W 5" Rectangular LED 1400 Lumen Flood Light

It's $120.00 from Amazon, but it's really bright, yet uses only 3 amps. You only need one for the front and one for the back. I'm very happy with it and have since forgotten the price because it works so well. It's supposedly often used to light the sand chute on snowplow trucks.

If you are looking for a bright light to light up your path or just use them for more light down dark roads at night these are what you want!!! so much brighter then i had imagined!!

R.gif

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #6  
Check out these guys for LED lighting. Can't remember if they are a vendor here or not, but they are on other forums for sure, and they are designed to work with tractors and heavy equipment.

Work Lights, HID Work Lights, HID Lighting, Work HID Lights, LED Work Lights, MobileHID offers it all!

Dellwas, thanks for the lead!

Have you tried any of these products yourself? I ask because I've been disappointed by many of the LED products out there. There are some great ones, but there are also lots of underpowered and lousy items. The only thing I've come to trust are those products that someone has actually bought, installed, is happy with, and is recommending.

Thanks!

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #7  
1. I've read the stories of difficult installations of the Cab- any tips or suggestions?

I recently installed one on a Cub Cadet GT3200. It took about 4 hours to get it all done (still have to add the lights). The directions are passable other than the fact that there is no picture key with the name of each piece on it, so I had to guess which piece went where from their illustrations.

We are going to leave the roof and uprights in year round (to keep the roof mounted lights, but without the windshield, doors or any of that stuff). I think that the cab could be removed in about an hour if you were storing the cab as one piece (would require removing about 10 bolts on the Cub version, 4 in each footrest and 2 in the back).

Aaron Z

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it? #8  
You'll be pleased with your cab much better than setting out in the wind ,snow or rain.. Here is the way I mounted my heater ... and then used 3/4" hot -cold water line to put air on windshield.Drilled about 18 holes apx 1/4" or larger to give air on windshield.. Last winter I ran another 3/4" line from bottom of heater starting with a T fitting pointed down on left side and then around dash to the right side to give some heat on floor.. Works fair , I can plow or blow snow with light weight boots now instead of my best insulated ones.
I'm also leave frame work on tractor yr around.. remove back ,doors, and front lower curtain... Last few yrs I have been leaving the windshield in place.

At Advance Auto they started selling led lights that look something close to these..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Watt...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1fa9fd71

They flash 3 different patterns .. I've seen them on road construction sites. Didn't know this when I bought them ($40.00) also lights can be burning solid not flashing.. There 's 20 led lights on each light.. I mounted them on back of tractor and just having them on I can back in my bldg and see very well ..
Just my take on this !!

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_2454.jpg
    IMG_2454.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 874
  • IMG_2455.jpg
    IMG_2455.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 835
   / JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it?
Got the cab mounted and with the help of my father-in-law we were able to get it completely assembled in about 4 hours including the safety glass windshield and electric wiper.

Have used it a few times since (moving some landscape rock, mowing, bagging of leaves) and it gets downright warm in there with the sun and outside temps in the low 50's. No heater yet, but I'm contemplating...

Did order two Maxxima LED's model MWL-07SP (Maxxima LED Lighting and Accessories) for the front of the cab. Also ordered several LED lighted switches, a project box to mount them in, some terminal blocks and a amber led strobe. Still need one LED worklight for the back, but I want to see how the front LED's work first before deciding if I need one, two or ??.

Will post pics after this weekends install of the lights and switches.

Scott

/ JD 2305, Original Tractor Cab - LED's and what heater and how to mount it?
WOW are those Maxxima's bright! Very, very happy with the light they are throwing!

Pictures to come...

Scott