Cool Down

/ Cool Down #1  

PioneerMan

Silver Member
What's your cool down procedure?

I have owned a dodge diesel for a few years and understand that engine pretty well. But I don't pull a lot so the turbo does not get that hot.

So I have now put about 20 hours on a 4320 (cut) and I'm just wondering what you guys do. If I'm running it hard I will idle it for almost five minutes, but light work only 1, maybe. Yesterday I heard the turbo spin a couple seconds after shutdown. I assume that's ok but maybe it means I should let it sit longer. But I also know that idling isn't the best for it...

/ Cool Down #2  
Follow the manual, if it says anything about cool down.
What are you doing when you say you are "running it hard" ?

/ Cool Down #3  
Look under "stopping machine" in your manual.

IMPORTANT: Avoid damage! Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended operation. Keep engine running at low idle for about 2 minutes to prevent heat build-up.

/ Cool Down
Yeah that's what I've been doing, thanks. I always idle after hard work, which is mainly the flail on heavy brush. But when I'm just doing short or light tasks, less so. Sounds like I should be ok...

/ Cool Down #5  
As beenthere said, "Follow the manual." The folks that built it probably know what they're talking about.

My :2cents:

Synthetic oil helps with heat dissipation in the cool down process of turbocharged engines.

If you really want to "do it by the numbers" put an EGT in the exhaust manifold and wait until the temp drops to 2-300 degrees (above ambient) before shut off. I don't have that set up on the tractor but I do on our Dodge/Cummins 2500. Obviously the time varies depending on how hard the truck's been running but at least I know exactly when it's cooled down. Having watched that EGT for over 10 years (175,000 miles), I can tell you it's never more than a minute or two before it's cool enough to shut off. I would guess pretty much the same applies to the tractor.

YMMV :)

/ Cool Down #6  
As with k9american, I also go by egt. The diesel that I stuffed into my Jeep idles with egt just at 300. I'll sit and let it idle until the egt is down then shut it off. The turbo will still be spinning, but what you are really trying to avoid is coking the oil in the turbo when shutting it off hot.

My 850 isn't turbo'd, but I'll still let it sit and idle for a few minutes before I shut it down...mostly out of habit.