Block Heater Question???

/ Block Heater Question??? #1  

Gobblin Tom

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 JD 2520
I am just curious to know at what temperature do you plug in the engine block heater?

/ Block Heater Question??? #2  
I sold the tractor I had with a block heater but I never plugged it in until about an hour or two before I was going to use it. If it was cold enough for me to zip up my coat and put on gloves then it was cold enough to plug in that old cold blooded 3020. Usually somewhere around 20 degrees or less.

/ Block Heater Question??? #3  
With a modern JD I don't need block heater and only tried the preheat glow plugs a couple times just to make sure they work.

When I ordered the tractor I made sure I got the block heater but have not needed it down to close to zero. I'm sure the engine would probably be happier prewarmed for those 10 degree starts, but you don't need it to start.

Unlike my older Ford witch is much more ornery.

JB

/ Block Heater Question??? #4  
I am just curious to know at what temperature do you plug in the engine block heater?
As effective as the OE cold start systems are nowadays, I think you might get by without one. But given the comparatively large volume of trans-hydraulic fluid, you might consider installing a transmission heater.

//greg//

/ Block Heater Question??? #5  
Tom:

My tractor is parked under a shelter, not heated. I plug my block heater in while I do some shoveling, then start the tractor to snowblow. I wouldn't leave it plugged in for extended period of time. Half an hour seems plenty for me.

/ Block Heater Question??? #6  
I just added 2 Wolverine brand block heaters Wolverine Engine Heaters | Outperforms Engine Block Heater - Cold Starts

Were easy to install and i added one to heat the oil pan and one for the HST transmission unit. I also ordered a 3rd for my hydraulic powerpack that will power my snowblower.

The tractor will start just fine without the heaters, but i would have to idle it for 5-10 minutes to warm up the engine, and the HST would sure whine until it warms up. I figure that anything i could do to help preheat it cant hurt. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

I have mine installed on an Intermatic wall timer that turns it on 2 hours before i would normally use the tractor for snow removal. I don't even plug it in until the temps get to and stay below freezing. As long as the daytime temps stay in the 40's or higher i don't bother.

I generally move snow at the same times during the winter, so the timer only makes sense. If i don't use the tractor, its being on for 2 hours will have wasted $0.08 in electricity. That's about $2.60 per month to protect the engine and tranny.

/ Block Heater Question??? #7  
Tom:

My tractor is parked under a shelter, not heated. I plug my block heater in while I do some shoveling, then start the tractor to snowblow. I wouldn't leave it plugged in for extended period of time. Half an hour seems plenty for me.

Yeah those little timers seem to be made for tractor block heaters, just make sure it's rated correctly.
From my experience with machines that do need block heating, in other words will not start with out it, usually 2 hours is the minimum to really make a difference. but I'm sure any amount of time wouldn't hurt.

JB

/ Block Heater Question??? #8  
i used this timer, it has 15 amps, 1850 watt load. great little unit with battery backup. Have 2 others that control the block heat on the ford and the dodge also.... Im all ready for old man winter.

Attachments

• HB800RCH.ashx.jpg
    HB800RCH.ashx.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 321
   / Block Heater Question??? #9  
   / Block Heater Question???
With a modern JD I don't need block heater and only tried the preheat glow plugs a couple times just to make sure they work.

When I ordered the tractor I made sure I got the block heater but have not needed it down to close to zero. I'm sure the engine would probably be happier prewarmed for those 10 degree starts, but you don't need it to start.

Unlike my older Ford witch is much more ornery.

JB

I also already had the engine block heater installed when I bought the tractor, figured it would be a good idea to help warm things up....