Flooded when start

/ Flooded when start #1  

tlfarm

Tractor
1970 JD300
I have a JD300 Industrial Tractor that is gas. Every time I start it I have to open the throttle all the way and it starts very rough and smokes. The choke is open and the air filter is new. There is an electric fuel shut off solinoid on the bottom of the carberator,could it be that?

/ Flooded when start #2  
You could be getting fuel by the needle and seat. That is the flooding issue. Have you reubuilt the carb and changed out the needle and seat?

The shutoff solinoid could be the issue. Normally, those are there to keep the tractor from running on after you shut it off. You might try replacing it, or testing it first to make sure it doesn't work, and then replace it. I would definately look at the needle and seat. The other thing to look at is your float setting. It might be off and letting to much fuel in there. That is part of a carb rebuild as well.

Good Luck.

/ Flooded when start
I rebuilt the carberator a few years ago. The tractor is used every week so the gas isn't old. When the tractor does start it skips and smokes for a minute or so and then it runs smooth and idles perfect. I thought if the needle and seat were bad that it wouldn't idle smooth. Maybe I should rebuild it again.

/ Flooded when start #5  
The needle and float as mentioned before is a good place to start. On some Kohler engines its common for the floats to leak and not float any more. I had two Kohlers with that flooding problem. I rebuilt carb and put a new float in problem solved.

/ Flooded when start #6  
You can remove the fuel solenoid and check it...with an ohm meter, using the 200 ohm scale, put one lead on the wire and the other on the case...there should be a reading. If no reading, it might be burned out. If you do get a reading, put the wire on the + of a 12 volt battery and touch the case to the - post of the battery and see if the pin moves inside. The solenoid, if working properly, will prevent excess fuel from running into the carb and cause the trouble you mentioned while starting.