John Deere 1963 4010

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #2  
They could have either a coolant heater or an oil heater.
If you are asking if the heaters were standard, I doubt it.

Prolly those shipped to TX did not come with heaters. ;)

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #3  
Did these tractors come with engine block heaters?

No block heaters offered but a tank heater could be plumbed into the block with hoses. I doubt you'll need a heater where you live. JD offered an oil heater(part#AR27139 HEATING ELEMENT). My JD and Ford tractors crank just fine in cold weather 30 miles south of Ft Worth in Coyote Flats.

/ John Deere 1963 4010
Yesterday morning the tractor struggled cranking, it was in the mid to upper 30's throughout the night here in Waco. It finally cranked after several attempts, a friend of mine has a 4440 and it has a block heater on it so I was just curious. I use the 4010 to feed cattle in the mornings and would hate to have to deal with rough starts every morning this winter.

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #5  
Yesterday morning the tractor struggled cranking, it was in the mid to upper 30's throughout the night here in Waco. It finally cranked after several attempts, a friend of mine has a 4440 and it has a block heater on it so I was just curious. I use the 4010 to feed cattle in the mornings and would hate to have to deal with rough starts every morning this winter.

When that happens, turn the steering wheel at the same time. The engine will crank over much faster.

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #6  
jdparts show both the tank heater for coolant and the oil immersion heater with part numbers. May not be available, and aftermarket may be a better route to go.

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #7  

I agree a block heater does help in cold weather I just didn't think it got very cold where you live. I thought you were in SE Texas by you listing Houston Co in your profile. If I were you I'd try installing a de-stroking screw in hyd pump. It costs about $15 and it will help cranking speed better than moving steering wheel rapidly from side to side while cranking.

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #8  
if it was me id put a block heater on that tractor.thats what we have on our 7700 an it works fine.we usually plug ours in at nite.or 3 or 4hrs before we want to crank it.an its with no prob.

/ John Deere 1963 4010
Turning the steering wheel rapidly worked pretty good, cranked with ease the other morning. I'll see how well that works when the temp gets into the 30's this winter, then I'll think about adding the heater.

/ John Deere 1963 4010 #10  
I stated block heater in an earlier post but actually you can only install a "tank heater" as there's no hole in the block for a block heater.