Backhoe Extend not working right

/ Extend not working right #1  

alanv

Tractor
John Deere 310 SE
My JD 310 SE extend a hoe retracts fine but doesn't extend well. Low power and very slow. You can hear hissing from the control valve as if you are slightly moving the control. I checked for proper linkage travel and it is fine. If I hold the lever for the main arm in the lowering position while I extend the hoe it works fine (hoses must be fine). Any one have and insight? Thanks for the help.

Alan

/ Extend not working right #2  
relief valve i would assume.

if everything else works. including retracting of the extend. i would assume, there is a relief valve to keep the extend from breaking / bending. and with that the relief value, is more likely letting partial hyd oil pass through the relief.

double check the manufactor website John Deere Home Page Redirect, if memory serves john deere has free online manuals for parts and like. that should help ya locate relief valve.

been someone time since i looked at a extend, does yours have any sort of lock? for transportation just for the extend? doubtfull. but seen a good amount of backhoes have the rear transport lock for the entire hoe. torn off. due to folks not paying attention and trying to move BH before undo transport lock.

*shrugs* not a mechanic, suggest waiting for other replies.

/ Extend not working right
Thanks for the redirect link - helpful! Also my machine has no extend lock. It does have locks for the boom.