50 Hour Service

/ 50 Hour Service #1  

Anonymous Poster

Getting ready for 50 hours service on my 4310. I was wondering how others handled cleaning the suction screen? What did you use to clean it and how? Manual says to use a solvent.

My auto filter removal tools appear too small for the filters on the 4310 so I need pick up a larger tool for that.

Craig

/ 50 Hour Service #2  
My suction screen did not have too many metal chips or shavings like other owners have found. I just used a brush to get it off the chips. I didn't thing a solvent would do much, the screen is pretty course.

Check to make sure it is in one piece. Maybe blowing it with compressed air from the inside will remove all the chips.

I think I undid the large filter by hand, it was pretty easy to get both hands on it. Try it before buying the large tool. One of those strap wrenches would work too.

/ 50 Hour Service
On the suction screen. What do you mean by 'in one piece'?

I drained my fluid today and pulled out the suction screen. Didn't have much in the way of chips or shavings. For the length of the filter the screen appears loose at the last wrap if that makes sense. Just the edge. Might this be normal for the filter?

Craig

/ 50 Hour Service #4  
Craig,
I have cleaned the suction screen on my 4200 twice. I used carburetor cleaner and then blew it out with compressed air. It seems to both disolve the junk and get rid of any metal shavings (no metal in second cleaning). A strap wrench worked well on the filter, none of my four filter wrenches would fit and I could't get it off by hand.

Bill

/ 50 Hour Service #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On the suction screen. What do you mean by 'in one piece'?

)</font>

I remember it being wrapped screen and spot welded to hold it together. Some owners mentioned that it had been ripped or torn or the spot welds were broken. Maybe that happened when removing? In other words it should be formed so it keeps the big chunks from going through.

/ 50 Hour Service #6  
I had to change the fluid at 25 hours since the 3 PT hitch wouldn't raise. I broke a Craftsman Strap wrench getting the filter off. I had all 240lbs on that thing and the filter wasn't moving. Must have loosened it some since the replacement strap wrench did the trick.

Red

/ 50 Hour Service #7  
RIGHTY - TIGHTY, LEFTY - LOOs...

just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ 50 Hour Service #9  
Good lesson for the kids on the Craftsman guarantee.