4300 alternator output

/ 4300 alternator output #1  

defed

Gold Member
it appears that the 4300 has a 40 amp alternator. does anyone know how much of that is used when running? running + lights? if not, i'll have to put my amp meter on it and see...just thought someone here may already know and save me the trouble. :D

curious, because i added an original tractor cab this year, and was looking at some electric 12v heaters. one draws 25 amps, which i'm sure is at full power and would have blower/heat settings for variable output. i saw a smaller one, but am still looking for specs on it.

just wondering how many amps were left over to play with.

thanks.

/ 4300 alternator output #2  
I'm curious to know how you would sort it out using the amp meter.
Load it somehow and find out when it goes to discharging the battery?

/ 4300 alternator output
i'm not sure either. i have a DC clamp on. i figure if i put it on the battery cable, i can see the amp flow. at initial startup, i figure is when the battery is drawing the most amps. turn on the headlights, it should change? or for the lights, i can put it on the individual light wire and see what they draw. i know i have 40 to work with.

/ 4300 alternator output
come to think of it, my clamp on meter has AC and DC amps...if i can find a single AC conductor coming from the alternator (should be 3 wires?), i could tell what is coming out of it. but not sure i will be able to find one as they are probably wrapped in a sheath of some sort.

what else is electric? battery charging, lights, fuel pump/solenoid?