Traction wheel weights or fill the tires?

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #1  

Elklakedoug

Tractor
John Deere 2320
Sounds like filling tires is the way to go - beet juice? I live in Michigan - move dirt & rocks with my 200cx loader, but also plow snow, etc. -

input?

thanks, Doug

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #2  
I had mine filled with Rimguard (Beet juice). Seems to be more stable than a comparable size tractor we have at work that has wheel weights. Also, the weights stick out which I don't like when manuvering through the woods.

I live in an environmentally sensitive area, so beet juice was really the only way to go for me. Also, it has a high weight per gallon. I had it installed for $2.50 per gallon back in August.

Mike

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #3  
I have weights on mine. I considered filling the tires but if I need to take the wheel off...which I did to replace an axle seal, the tire/wheel's a lot easier to handle after the weights are removed.

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #4  
I went with the weights . They worked out fine for my uses .

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #5  
I've busted too many knuckles on wheel weights. I went with RimGuard on my last tractor.

//greg//

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #6  
I have seen a couple of post on weights vs filling, but have not seen much info on the benefits of filling vs weights. A couple of questions:

Does filling lower the center of gravity of the tractor by applying the weight lower in the tires vice hanging weights at axle height?
Does filling reduce the weight applied to the rims by not hanging on the axles? I would think filling would apply pressure directly to the ground without applying extra stress to the axle/rims.

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #7  
I have seen a couple of post on weights vs filling, but have not seen much info on the benefits of filling vs weights. A couple of questions:

Does filling lower the center of gravity of the tractor by applying the weight lower in the tires vice hanging weights at axle height?
Does filling reduce the weight applied to the rims by not hanging on the axles? I would think filling would apply pressure directly to the ground without applying extra stress to the axle/rims.

Filling is usually cheaper per pound added. That tips the scales for a lot of people. Weight's usually around $1/lb; Rimguard is closer to $0.25/lb. Labor will add to the cost for both unless you DIY; more labor is required to fill tires than add weights.

Filling will also put slightly less stress on the tire itself, but I haven't ever heard of anyone having any trouble because of that. The weight of your tractor on your wheel bearings will be the same with weights or filled tires.

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #8  
Obvious pros and cons to both as mentioned earlier, but one advantage that was not mentioned is that with Rim Guard or other fluid you don't have the weight bearing on the axle itself, instead it is on the ground. This also makes for some uneasy moments when lifting heavy objects with the FEL With filled tires the back end will raise slightly until the weight is taken off the ground and transfered to the axle of the tractor. With wheel weights you don't have that since the weight is always bearing on the tractor.

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #9  
Obvious pros and cons to both as mentioned earlier, but one advantage that was not mentioned is that with Rim Guard or other fluid you don't have the weight bearing on the axle itself, instead it is on the ground.
True, but the weight's on the *axle*, not the wheel bearing. I haven't ever heard anyone even suggest that this could casue a failure, let alone heard of an actual incident. People have been adding weight to wheels for years.

This also makes for some uneasy moments when lifting heavy objects with the FEL With filled tires the back end will raise slightly until the weight is taken off the ground and transfered to the axle of the tractor. With wheel weights you don't have that since the weight is always bearing on the tractor.
This effect is so small that if you notice this, then you don't have enough rear ballast to be safe for the load you're lifting. Add a counterweight.

/ wheel weights or fill the tires? #10  
... makes for some uneasy moments when lifting heavy objects with the FEL With filled tires the back end will raise slightly until the weight is taken off the ground and transfered to the axle of the tractor. With wheel weights you don't have that since the weight is always bearing on the tractor.
You've got the wrong concept. Tire ballast (liquid or solid) is intended to improve traction and increase transverse stability. Think lateral. Weight to counter front loads should be behind the rear axle. Think longitudinal

//greg//