1020 head gasket problem

/ 1020 head gasket problem #1  

Figato

I'm reposting this from the repair section

------

I noticed that my JD 1020 coolant is always about 1 gallon low.
So I tried filling it up, but then started getting a lot of smoke out of the blowby tube (or whatever it's called).
I also noticed that my freshly changed oil had water in it.

So what I'm thinking is that the head gasket is leaking and coolant is getting into the crankcase.

A few questions:

Does this sound like a head gasket leak?

How difficult is that to change out on a JD 1020?

How long can I get away with putting the job off? I run the tractor for maybe 20 hours / year just to maintain my hunting property and put in food plots.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Diesel, about 7,000 hours.

Last edited:
   / 1020 head gasket problem #2  
Gas or desiel?

/ 1020 head gasket problem #3  
Coolant in the crank oil is not good.
Hope that it isn't a cracked block and is only a head gasket.

I'd try some radiator stop leak on the chance that a crack is small and that puts a stop to the leaking. But wouldn't count on it working. Just that if it does, then you have prolonged the inevitable search and repair of the problem.

Good luck.

/ 1020 head gasket problem
Coolant in the crank oil is not good.
Hope that it isn't a cracked block and is only a head gasket.

I'd try some radiator stop leak on the chance that a crack is small and that puts a stop to the leaking. But wouldn't count on it working. Just that if it does, then you have prolonged the inevitable search and repair of the problem.

Good luck.

Good idea. Thanks.

/ 1020 head gasket problem #6  
Do it as soon as possible. Coolant is heavier than oil and will settle in the bottom of oil pan. Eventually, if you have enough coolant in the pan you will start it up and the oil pump pickup will suck the coolant before it gets to the oil. Then it will be to late.

/ 1020 head gasket problem #7  
I don't know if the engines are similar, but I replaced the head gasket on my JD1050. I had a Yanmar 3 cyl turbo engine. It was fairly simple. I sprayed the exhaust manifold bolts once or twice a day with PB blaster for a week ahead of time. I took it apart, laying out parts in the order they came off. The thing you don't want to overlook is, be sure to check the flatness of the head before you reinstall it. I used a real straight edge and a feeler gauge. I had less than .002" gap at any spot. Tightening sequence and head bolt torque are very important also. The stop leak that the previous owner had put in it made things a bit messy. I'd stay away from that if you plan to do it anytime soon.

/ 1020 head gasket problem #8  
Figato
If you remove rad cap while engine is cold and start engine do you see bubbles in coolant in rad?? Coolant leak could also be a pin hole in a cyl liner from debris in coolant hitting liner or bad coolant PH. Coolant loss needs to be repaired as anti-freeze is death to rod/main brgs.

/ 1020 head gasket problem #9  
How do i replace a head gasket on my 1050 John Deere diesel tractor