Charging problem on my John Deere 4100

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #21  
How about that, still working great!!! Thought I would pass it on since charging issues can be one of the most frustrating problems to fix. I was looking at my threads and I never mentioned I believe it is some sort of safety relay that's tied with the transmission. This would make sense because if it was malfunctioning it would always pull a draw and/or cancel a draw. Hope this helps others in the future. If anything, another option to consider.

I have a 4100 also. I had similar charging issue. I fooled around with the electrical for months. As I recall there was a relay or some connectors that when I unplugged/re-plugged it magically cleared it up. Yes, I recall a relay-ish part -- that I removed and installed a few times. It's been a few years; has worked find since.

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #22  
My question is this. Will the 4100 work w/o the relay. John Deere ( James River Equipment ) now list the part as $150 plus. Ebay has one, but does not list as new or used for less than $40. and This drain is killing me during the days work..

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100
I have no idea if it can work without it, I didn't try. I would think not since it's partially a safety relay. The money was well worth it for all the frustration it has saved me. Nothing sucks more than a drained tractor when you're right in the middle of trying to get things done. Good luck

/ Charging problem on my John Deere 4100 #24  
I think the second from the front is the voltage rectifier/regulator discharge light relay. I have a 4100 HST and I have the light staying on. I just replaced the voltage rectifier/regulator module(original burned out due to an accessory wire that shorted and took out rectifiers/regulator module) and now have 14.8 volts at run speed. My problem is that the voltage stays in charge mode all the time now.