New JD 1023e Owner Question

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #1  

DeereGirl

Tractor
John Deere 1023e
I just bought a JD 1023e a few month ago and love it! I've never owned a tractor like this before. I'm used to the Craftsman garden tractors. With that said, I'm sure that I will need to move snow this winter and don't know exactly which attachment that I should get. I'm seeing both front and rear blades... Which one is best for moving snow on both driveways and the private road that I live on? Also, will I need weights or chains?
Thanks a bunch!
Sheila

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #2  
I would say the front blade, although it will cost you more.
I would also say, weight and chains would be a good idea.

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question
Thanks Gizmo. As far as the weights go, are they the type that go on the tire rims like the Craftsman do or should I look into a "weight box" for the rear?

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #4  
I would go with the rear ballast box, if it were me.
Do you have a FEL?

I'm sorry. Do you mean a front end loader? Yes I do.

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #6  
:welcome:

You should be able to go in several directions.
There is a front blade option and plowing snow going forward beats the back blade and looking back all the time.
Here is a vid of the tractor you have.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjAkOMNGwc]John Deere 1023E Tractor - YouTube[/ame]

Weight can be ballast box, fluid in the tires, and/or cast weights on the wheel rims.

Glad you were able to move up from the Craftsman.

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #7  
I'm seeing both front and rear blades...

I noted you only mentioned blades. Is the front mounted snowblower not an option at this time? I do recognize it certainly is a spendy attachment. But I was just curious.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to go with.

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #8  
I just bought a JD 1023e a few month ago and love it! I've never owned a tractor like this before. I'm used to the Craftsman garden tractors. With that said, I'm sure that I will need to move snow this winter and don't know exactly which attachment that I should get. I'm seeing both front and rear blades... Which one is best for moving snow on both driveways and the private road that I live on? Also, will I need weights or chains?
Thanks a bunch!
Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I think we need more details before we can answer you correctly:

What is the typical snow fall you deal with clearing?
How long and steep are your 2 driveways and private road?
What do you use for accomplishing the same snow removal today?
Liist all the attachments you currently have for the 1023e.
What additional budget do you have to spend?

/ New JD 1023e Owner Question #9  
Hi Sheila,

I think we need more details before we can answer you correctly:

What is the typical snow fall you deal with clearing?
How long and steep are your 2 driveways and private road?
What do you use for accomplishing the same snow removal today?
Liist all the attachments you currently have for the 1023e.
What additional budget do you have to spend?
Now we're gettin ready to spend some money.:D
Careful Sheila we all like to spend other peoples money:D and you will love every minute of it.

Last edited:
beenthere said:
:welcome:

You should be able to go in several directions.
There is a front blade option and plowing snow going forward beats the back blade and looking back all the time.
Here is a vid of the tractor you have.
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjAkOMNGwc

Weight can be ballast box, fluid in the tires, and/or cast weights on the wheel rims.

Glad you were able to move up from the Craftsman.

lost in wisconsin said:
I noted you only mentioned blades. Is the front mounted snowblower not an option at this time? I do recognize it certainly is a spendy attachment. But I was just curious.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to go with.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that I had to look behind me the whole time. Didn't really think about that. After all, the tractors supposed to do the work. I'm just enjoying the ride!
Thanks for the video. That was cool. Would like to mention that I don't have the treaded tires like the one in the video. Wish I had them.
Need the blade option because of cost and its function. I'm also going to try my hand at compost farming and the blade will be used to "roll" the piles.
Thanks so much for the reply.