2320 - How do i stop this leak

/ 2320 - How do i stop this leak #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have had a hydraulic drip/leak coming from the underside of the tractor since mid summer and I finally got around to getting to finding the leak by removing the floorboard to get a better view..

The leak is coming from behind a nut that is on a bolt on the front of the transmission.. It is more of a ooze that only occurs after the transmission fluid gets hot. I have looked on the JD parts at the diagrams but dont see this nut/bolt listed..

I have attached pics to help.. The leak is on the right just behind where the forward/reverse pedals (circled in the pic) attach to the transmission.

Any ideas on how stop it? You can get a open ended wrench on it BUT can only get very slight turn of the wrench due to interference..

thanks

brian

Attachments

• IMG_6751.jpg
    IMG_6751.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 875
  • IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_6750.jpg
    IMG_6750.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 685
   / 2320 - How do i stop this leak #2  
Just to confirm, these pics are from the topside looking down, and the nut pointed out is on the right front of the tranny.
A more distant pic before zooming in would give (me at least) a better perspective.

/ 2320 - How do i stop this leak #3  
Just to confirm, these pics are from the topside looking down, and the nut pointed out is on the right front of the tranny.
A more distant pic before zooming in would give (me at least) a better perspective.
That should be made common practice, sort of like an overview picture and then a zoomed in view.

/ 2320 - How do i stop this leak #4  
i see in the picture above the nut in question a pipe plug fitting
with some teflon tape that doesn't look too healthy,
have you removed/replaced that thinking that might
be the problem?
if not, any chance that the oil is starting there
and coming down but hard to see, making it
look like it's coming out from that stud?

it almost looks to be where the transmission case bolts to
the hydrostatic pump case, and if a gasket between them
is bad, it's not an easy fix, and maybe you are still under
warranty.

/ 2320 - How do i stop this leak

i will get a better over all view pic posted..

i see in the picture above the nut in question a pipe plug fitting
with some teflon tape that doesn't look too healthy,
have you removed/replaced that thinking that might
be the problem?
if not, any chance that the oil is starting there
and coming down but hard to see, making it
look like it's coming out from that stud?

it almost looks to be where the transmission case bolts to
the hydrostatic pump case, and if a gasket between them
is bad, it's not an easy fix, and maybe you are still under
warranty.

Those pipe plug with the teflon are definitely NOT where the leak is coming from.. I let the tractor run for about 3 hrs before the leaking started and it was only coming from below the nut/bolt shown in the pic..

Forgive my ignorance of part names.. BUT the stud (that the nut is attached to) is coming from the rear axle housing thru the where the transmission controls forward/backward and the input shaft from the engine comes into the transmission..

Pics will be up soon

Brian

Pics from the right hand side.. WITH text and arrows - I am learning new stuff on how to pictures tonite LOL

Attachments

• IMG_6757.jpg
    IMG_6757.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 808
  • IMG_6758.jpg
    IMG_6758.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 757
Left hand side views -

Attachments

• IMG_6759.jpg
    IMG_6759.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_6760.jpg
    IMG_6760.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_6762.jpg
    IMG_6762.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 417
   / 2320 - How do i stop this leak #9  
Is the nut loose? Don't twist it off trying to make sure. You could remove the nut and add a lead washer then torque down or wrap with teflon close tot he case and tighten the nut. You might remove the nut and look for cracks in the case.

Dan

/ 2320 - How do i stop this leak #10  
thatguy,
I am completely stumped as to what this could be. Went on-line at JD to see if I could find some reference to the "nut" and came up empty handed. Maybe you can find it. Short of me take my 2320 apart it seemed the best idea. Probably something really simple.
John Deere - Parts Catalog