Loader 4100 Selector valve issue

/ 4100 Selector valve issue #1  

Sasquatch4100

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 with 410 loader
I bought this tractor with 120hrs on it and it the Selector Control valve (aka spool valve) for the loader worked well the majority of the time. Every once in a while it'd stick when curling the bucket to the down position. I thought maybe the linkages were hanging up so I lubed them and checked adjustment. Didn't find any issues on the outside.

I was doing some heavy work recently and noticed the bucket wouldn't go down and instead would jump to the up position. That happens about halfway through the lever travel. If you continue to the end it actually will curl the bucket all the way up as if you're activating the up function on the bucket. I believe a seal or spring may have went in the spool valve (SCV).

According to the John Deere parts site there aren't any serviceable parts in that assembly to replace and they want 1,400.00 for the entire valve!:shocked: Sheesh. I might be able to take the valve apart and match up what ever is broken inside. It's a tight fit to get in there. so it's going to be a pain, especially since I have the power beyond kit on it.

BTW, the boom or lift arms are operating normally.

If I can't fix it with a few parts I might replace that SCV with a standard spool from the surplus store and I'd be able to get a float option. That'd be nice, but I'd like to keep it stock if possible.

The SCV is number 32. Thanks!

Attachments

• selector valve.gif
    selector valve.gif
    46 KB · Views: 819
   / 4100 Selector valve issue #2  
Sure sounds like you are experiencing the regenerative feature of the curl down, and it is the way it should work.
Just that either curl down slow, or move the joy stick to the far right to dump quickly. If part way between, the weird behaviour of the curl happens.

/ 4100 Selector valve issue
I agree about how two of the functions appear normal. The slow curl (downward) and the float, but not at the end travel of the lever it shouldn't shoot back to the up position.

I forgot to mention sometimes moving the lever to the down (at normal speed) position results in a fast action (sometimes just pausing and jerking) to the up position for the bucket and no down action what so ever. Being very careful and feathering the lever to move the bucket down will move the bucket to the down position, but the bucket is always in the "float" position since this happened the other day. If you continue through the travel of the lever near the end and to the end the bucket will return to the up position. If anytime during the "feathering" you move the lever to quickly it'll start jerking towards the up position, but not actually travel much in that direction.

Although I'm sure this needs a full hydro oil service, I'm sure it wouldn't solve this issue. I'm thinking some debris has gotten stuck in that valve and either is still there causing issue or has caused some damage.

As of two days ago it wasn't an issue the bucket would lower pretty slow until the lever was moved to the halfway position and then would dump fairly quickly. If it's supposed to work differently, ie float and return to up quickly then it's never done that before and i don't know how to get it back to the previous setting.

Sorry to be long winded, just trying to be precise. Maybe I can get a video of it up tomorrow.

Thanks

/ 4100 Selector valve issue
Well, I got it figured out. When you hear hoof beats sometimes it is horses, but remember many animals have hooves!

I started to pull the valve when I had to get up and grab another tool. While walking towards the front of the tractor I noticed one of the quick disconnects looked funny. I messed with it and found it was partially out. It was out enough to cause issues, but not to leak or blow off. :confused3: So I pulled it apart, cleaned it, put it back together and made sure it was securely fastened. Got the tractor back together and tested it out. Presto! Problem fixed and it only cost me some pride.:laughing::laughing:

Moral of the story is to check the basics before assuming the worst from prior anecdotal evidence.

/ 4100 Selector valve issue #5  
Good to hear that you found the problem and have it fixed.