Chainsaw Scabbard ideas?

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #1  

MaxxB

Tractor
JD 790
i've got a small 790 and i'm about to finally bite the bullet on getting some chains for the rear tires which means i'll be on my way to doing some logging this winter (no more wagon loads for me!).

I run a medium sized saw (stihl 044) and i'm looking for a convenient & safe way to haul it around on my tractor.

Anyone have a creative solution?

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #2  
I built one of plywood to sandwich the bar and clamped it to the ROPS. Works great for my 20" bar on MS361, just need to be careful when backing into trees on a hillside. Rides great there, and is always handy and not sitting on the ground where I might drive over it, or sitting off somewhere else that is a long hike to retrieve it. One of my most favorite mods.

Attachments

• Saw_Scabbard_ff.jpg
    Saw_Scabbard_ff.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 936
  • Sawscabbard_ff.jpg
    Sawscabbard_ff.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 978
   / Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #3  
Beenthere
I have been searching for this ever since I first saw it posted sometime last year,but I couldn't remember which forum. I love that mod!:thumbsup: Soon to have one on my 2520. Thanks for posting.:)

Greg

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #4  
I put mine on the weight box, 1/4" sheet plastic.

Attachments

• HPIM2246 (Small).JPG
    HPIM2246 (Small).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,017
   / Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #5  
grnspot
I think I am logging trees in way too much brush to have my saw that low and behind.
Also, sometimes I log using just the iMatch to retrieve logs, and leave the ballast box off.

Is the plastic sheet on both sides to sandwich the bar/chain so not rubbing on steel?
I like the rails under the box. :)

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #6  
grnspot
I think I am logging trees in way too much brush to have my saw that low and behind.
Also, sometimes I log using just the iMatch to retrieve logs, and leave the ballast box off.

Is the plastic sheet on both sides to sandwich the bar/chain so not rubbing on steel?
I like the rails under the box. :)

I've gone back to a smaller saw, so the chain is less than 1/4" thick. I cut two 1" strips of the plastic & sandwiched them between the inner & outer sides to protect the chain. For bigger saws use two strips!

As for the rails, I had some old light RR rail laying around & don't like my box setting on the ground, so they made legs & allows the receiver tube to be underneath. ~~ grnspot

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #7  
Don't have a photo, but when I poured the concrete for my ballast box, I made a pocket for my saw, using the plastic blade guard, and also inserted some PVC tubing for the handles rakes, shovels, axe etc.... Comes in handy. Got the idea from a fella here a few years ago!

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #8  
Mine is made the same way as grnspot's. I mounted it on the back of my 3 pt. receiver hitch.

Attachments

• P1100126.jpg
    P1100126.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 2,162
   / Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #9  
image-590014146.png

Here is what I build. Not fancy but I have the saw handy when bush hogging and come on a fallen tree or a low hanging limb.

/ Chainsaw Scabbard ideas? #10  
MAXX; I put my scabbard inside the arm for the loader and painted the boards green. It is neat and out of the way.

Attachments

• P1010021.JPG
    P1010021.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 582
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,743
  • P1010023.JPG
    P1010023.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 783