water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #1  

archibald tuttle

Tractor
Allis 160, 185
for once, I think the title says it more or less all.

my father in law experience jerky operation of hydraulics this fall and sent his tractor to the dealer. They found excessive quantities of water in the hydraulic oil. Works fine after hydraulic oil change but they were unable to say how the water go in there. I don't think the dealer actually said what per-cent or quantity of water was in there but it was obviousl enough to seriously affect operation and to befuddle the dealer as to how it got there.

I do wonder, on a tractor of this age, if it could be accumulated condensation. Replaced maybe a few gallons of the fluid a couple years ago when distribtion seals let go, but no change of fluid or draining. Probably wouldn't hurt to periodically drain a few ounces checking for water, or open drain after tractor has been at rest for some time and let any water out of hydraulic sump (assuming there is a bottom plug).

I'm not near the tractor itself at the moment but will be in a couple days so just checking for early thoughts or questions about its condition that I might be able to answer.

Obviously wondering if anyone else has experienced similar water accumulation on this or similar model and whether there are any frame or drive train seals, baffles, caps or other that should be secured or improved to prevent reoccurence or whether he should simply wait the next 25 years and then change the fluid again.

thanks.

brian

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #2  
Most of the moisture can either get into hyd sump from cracked gearshift boots or plugged up trans breather filter.

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #3  
archi
:welcome:
You don't say how the tractor has been stored, if outside in the weather. Or if extreme temps are experienced for that condensation. Or how often the tranny oil was changed.

Also, if the tractor was often hosed down or power washed - both of which can possibly force water in.

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #4  
Best thing you can so is keep it covered when not is use.

It only takes a little water to emulsify the fluid and cause it to look milky. It will not return to new fluid look, and will degrade your hyd system.

If you know that water has entered the tank, and you haven't started the tractor, you can drain the free water from the lowest part of the tractor tank.

Do a crackle test for an indication of water.

Your tractor will probably never get hot enough to remove the water from the emulsified fluid, besides it is impractical to even try.

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #5  
A good quality hydraulic oil will emulsify the water and it will not settle out. The only way to get rid of it is to change the oil.:)

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #6  
I had water in the hydraulic fluid of a 4100 that I bought early this year. The dealer changed it out as part of some other work I had done on the hydro. Still milky. I changed it another half dozen times w/filter and flushing lines. It looks good now. The previous owner as well as my dealer had no idea how that much water got into the fluid.

I suggest just changing it out until the fluid looks as good coming out as it did going in. You'll never get it all out unless you break the hydro apart. I plan to change it out in another 25 hours or so in the spring.

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #7  
I had milky fluid in my 1050 2wheel drive. I'm pretty sure it came from pressure washing the tractor once or twice. The shift boot had some cracks. I stored it under a shelter, so rain shouldn't have done it. I cleaned the screen and changed the filter, added new oil and was good to go.

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD
archi
:welcome:
You don't say how the tractor has been stored, if outside in the weather. Or if extreme temps are experienced for that condensation. Or how often the tranny oil was changed.

Also, if the tractor was often hosed down or power washed - both of which can possibly force water in.

Thanks everyone for responses. now at the tractor location. it is always stored in shed, but was powerwashed this summer. the shift boot is in good shape. Maybe I can find the transmission breather on my own, but if anyone can tell me where to look for it I'll always take a hint.

What is the mechanism for water infiltration at the breather vis-a-vis it being clogged. I can see that the breather might be an infiltration point during power washing but how does the clogged breather contribute to H2O aspiration?

I'm assuming it might create a little negative pressure over the sump in certain operating conditions but where would the water come from?

Will of course watch for milky fluid indicating moisture although never saw milky fluid on dipstick even while it was having the problem with water.

MAybe it wasn't emuslifying for whatever reason but flowing through the system in slugs. Judging by the gent who replaced his oil 5 times, water can hang around so we'll keep an eye on it.

meantime keep those cards and letters coming.

merry christmas,

brian

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #9  
I would have to aggree with the Cracked or aged Rubber shift boot as one point of water getting in. One other question that comes to me is, has any other Hydraulics been run on the tractor such as a 3 point hitch wood splitter running off a remote hydraulic line. When you hook up something like that, anything sitting in the piston, valve and lines, gets introduced to your hydraulic system.

Phil C.

/ water in hydraulics 1985 JD 1050 4WD #10  
Oh yes, and if the Tranny Breather is anything like my JD850, little brother to the 1050, it should be located up high over the rear end under the seat. It would be a small 1/4" Hooked tube.

regards Phil C.