Snow JD 955 snowblower rides too low

/ JD 955 snowblower rides too low #1  

Snowslider

Tractor
JD 955
I have a JD 59" snowblower, recently purchased used, for my JD 955 tractor. I was told it was off of a JD 955 and so it came with the proper mounting brackets. It seems to hook up fine, but it won't raise up off the ground more than one inch. There's not enough "stroke" left in the piston.

It seems like the tractor sits too low, maybe due to the worn turf tires? Wrong bracket?

Pics attached, note the small amount of stroke left in the piston when sitting level.

--Doug

Attachments

• Snowblower1.jpg
    Snowblower1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Snowblower2.jpg
    Snowblower2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 825
   / JD 955 snowblower rides too low #2  
:welcome:
Have the attaching mount changed by a welder to get more stroke. Double check the mounts too. Doesn't maybe go in the upper 'hooks' shown?
Is the length of the PTO shaft okay?

/ JD 955 snowblower rides too low
It's difficult to see what could be modified in isolation to make a difference, without causing some other problem. The clearances are very tight.

There are some alternate mounting holes on the snowblower box, one of which can be seen in the lower right corner of my first pic to which the upper bracket arm could be moved. Not visible is an upper hole for the lower bracket arm. Using those holes would have the effect of moving the blower further forward about an inch, lengthening the stroke.

I wish I had the manual, it might give some clue as to which holes to use for which model tractor.

If some good soul has the manual, please divulge any relevant information. :)

No luck with aforementioned plan. :-(

I must have the wrong attachment bracket. According to google this is the correct bracket: AM101729

Anyone have an image?

/ JD 955 snowblower rides too low #6  
The lower holes on the blower are no good your saying ? Because that's what I was thinking after studying the pictures ?

/ JD 955 snowblower rides too low #7  
My Dad picked one of these up in a package deal. We used it a couple times and found it almost unusable because of lack of lift and being narrower than the footprint of the tractor.

The lower holes on the blower are no good your saying ? Because that's what I was thinking after studying the pictures ?

Right. It doesn't change the geometry of the piston. The problem is the mounting bracket on the tractor. I need to make a cut above the pivot point of the arms, and below the attachment point of the cylinder. Shift pivot point forward two inches or so and weld it back together.

My Dad picked one of these up in a package deal. We used it a couple times and found it almost unusable because of lack of lift and being narrower than the footprint of the tractor.

That's interesting, did your tractor have turf tires? My thinking is that the bracket was designed for lug tires which maybe stand several inches taller.

If my bracket alteration works, I'll post the modifications FFR.

/ JD 955 snowblower rides too low #10  
Your arms are in the wrong set of holes where they attach to the blower itself.
My 59 came from a 855 with turf tires and used these holes. Also check the bolts used for connecting the mount to the frame. When they get worn the whole mount rocks rearward/down and you lose lift. There was not much lift from the factory to start with. I made my own frame mount for my 3720 so could have more lift, not have to remove the grille guard, and not have to remove my mmm mounts.
The extra holes on the blower are for other models. I have the 55 series manual for it but it doesn't show setting it up

Attachments

• Picture 16.jpg
    Picture 16.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_2940sm.jpg
    IMG_2940sm.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,615
  • x495&47sm.jpg
    x495&47sm.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 2,494