JD 820 Engine/Block Heater

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #1  

nittanyjd

Tractor
JD 4320 JD X748
Hello - new to the site and have a question on block or engine coolant heaters. I have a 1969 JD 820 3 cly diesel that I want to add a block heater to. Looked on JD parts and visited my dealer. Nothing coming up and they said they couldn't find anything either. They did however show me an engine coolant heater for the 1020 model and said it would work on my tractor. It's not a JD part, but more universal. P/N RE313366.

Curious if anyone has experience with these heaters or installed one? Or a direction to point me in?

Brad

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #2  
The RE313366 will work on your 820. The 820 and 1020 had the same cylinder block and the same pipe plugs that the heater connects to. It connects to two pipe plugs in left side of block, to the rear of the injection pump. The mounting bracket connects to two oil pan bolts. A pretty easy installation if the allen headed plugs come out of block ok. The kit should come with instructions.

With that said, there are other options. There are other heaters that can be spliced into the lower radiator hose, but not as efficient in my opinion. Distick heaters and magnetic oil pan heaters are also available, but again not as efficient IMO.

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater
jd110 - thanks for the insight and information. I'll give it a shot and just needed some outside assurance I was looking at the right part.

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #4  
jd110 is an experienced Deere mechanic who always posts good useful information, in short I would heed his words.

Can you post some pictures of your 820? I have a 1973 model that has been a great tractor.

Here are a couple of recent shots.

Attachments

• JD820.jpg
    JD820.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 541
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 409
   / JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #6  
Looks to be in great shape:thumbsup: Like your dog too.

FWIW, I have a shop manual and the full early printed parts book for this tractor if you find you need more info.

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #7  
Part number for the coolant heater kit for the 2030 is AT72330. That may work too. If part number is still current.

Tractor has been great. Only has 1500 original hrs, too. Someday hope to move into a 4300 or 4400 size with a FEL, but for my current needs this is fine.

I picked up the engine heater so now time to install. :thumbsup:

Happy New Year!!

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #9  
That is about what I have on mine, 1500 to 1600 hrs. Here's pics of mine.

/ JD 820 Engine/Block Heater #10  
You both have nice looking 820s. I see both have the down exhaust, same as my 2030, which I like except when putting on attachments.
I was looking for either an 820 or 830 when I bought the 2030. Just could not find any. (this was in 1994)