2305 won't stay running

/ 2305 won't stay running #1  

Bubba Tex

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
My 2305 with 104.5 hours on it won't stay running when I move the drive selector from Neutral or when I engage the PTO. It starts, idles and runs well through the rev range and I can operate the loader.

I have tested the seat safety switch and it seems fine, and, just to be safe I jumped across the connector...no love.

Fuel is full, hydraulic oil level is fine.

Any ideas?

/ 2305 won't stay running #2  
If it runs when standing still but shuts down when you try and move it, has to be a safety switch. Either seat or PTO, check again.
DevilDog

/ 2305 won't stay running
Where is the pto safety switch?

/ 2305 won't stay running #4  
Bubba how about water in the fuel or the fuel filter?

/ 2305 won't stay running #5  
Based on what you are saying it must be the seat safety switch.. Without your butt in the seat you cant move out of Neutral or engage the PTO or it shuts down..

It thinks someone is not in the seat and doing what it is suppose to do..

to run the PTO you have to be in the seat (or it has to sense someone in the seat) and the parking brake must be set..

Since it runs otherwise it cant be fuel..

b

/ 2305 won't stay running
I don't think it would run well at all if it were a fuel issue.

Is there a separate safety switch for the PTO?

/ 2305 won't stay running #7  
I don't think it would run well at all if it were a fuel issue.

Is there a separate safety switch for the PTO?

Just make sure it is not engaged, that will cause it to shut down. Try this sit on seat as normal and start tractor, now get off seat and stand to side of tractor and slowly press down on HST petal with your hand ( Slowly and make sure you are not in front of tire so you don't get run over) tractor should shut off. If it does this double check for seat safety switch they can be very sensitive.
DevilDog

/ 2305 won't stay running #8  
Just make sure it is not engaged, that will cause it to shut down. Try this sit on seat as normal and start tractor, now get off seat and stand to side of tractor and slowly press down on HST petal with your hand ( Slowly and make sure you are not in front of tire so you don't get run over) tractor should shut off. If it does this double check for seat safety switch they can be very sensitive.
DevilDog

I dont think my 2320 will shut down by pressing down on the HST pedal as you describe. i know that I have started the tractor, set the parking brake and started the rear pto - then got out of the seat and pushed on the HST pedals and it stayed running.

With mine, sit in the seat, start the tractor.. As long as the gear selector stays in Neutral you can get out of the seat and it will stay running. IF you put it in gear and get off the seat it shuts down immediately.. (the parking brake has to be set if you want to run the rear PTO though

Mine will not start unless the gear selector is in Neutral as well.. So it shouldnt be an issue with a switch in the gear selector since the OP said it will start and run..

Where is the seat sensor? is it wired inside the seat itself OR is there a pressure switch that is pushed down by someones weight? I have had my seat all apart but I dont remember seeing a separate pressure switch - but i wasnt looking for it to be honest..

im still thinking seat switch is the issue..

Brian