5205 Radiator petcock drain question

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #1  

TXCYCLE

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2402; NH T4.75
Question: I have an 02 JD5205 I was GOING to drain the antifreeze on today. I got the plastic petcock to turn maybe a quarter of a turn then stop, nothing would drain from radiator. I didn't want to force it with pliers for obvious reasons, am I missing something here? Some trick? Besides hard to access, it sure is a whipping to work on this thing. I've had it for maybe 4 months now but every little thing I try to do (even with a good manual) is kicking my butt. Appreciate the help as always. Sorry for my frustration. :)

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #2  
And you are turning it counter-clockwise? Just checking. ;)

I think the valve has a hex nut that allows it to be turned out. Maybe removing the valve would work as well.

Attachments

• 5205_rad_drain.JPG
    5205_rad_drain.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 238
   / 5205 Radiator petcock drain question
Beenthere-Yep I even tried it clockwise just to be sure! No, I went counter-clockwise, then tried to find an indent or a way it pops out or something-nada. And I don't see a nut anywhere-just the plastic valve. I'm afraid to really twist on the thing or it'll be a new radiator. I called the dealer late in the day yesterday, service all gone home for the weekend, parts guy said "just keep turning it left". uh, ok. Anyway, thanks for the diagram, I'll figure something out even if I have to pull the bottom radiator hose. There's wires & cables & hoses, really hard area to get to. Not very service friendly for sure.

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #4  
After the first turn or so it can be tight because you have reached the o-ring. Just turn that thing, it will come out. It can seem like you are using more force then you really are, because of the angle you have to use to get at the thing. I had to use pliers as an aid.

Jordan, thanks for the reply. I can't go past a quarter turn, does it open a full turn or so or unscrew totally? I spoke with a mechanic at my dealer, he said don't force it, just remove the lower radiator hose. (kinda a hassel) Or I could drain it from the block drain. I also saw on another website that a guy said to spray with WD40 & gently try to open with pliers. Open to suggestions and thanks.

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #6  
Might be good to order and get a new plug first, and then get this one out. Maybe deposits in the bottom plugging this petcock. ?? A new one will explain better just how it is designed to work and open/shut.

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #7  
It unscrews completely out if you want it too. Takes a few full revolutions to get fluid coming out.

Jordan/beenthere-makes sense now guys, thanks very much. My experience has been with brass & metal radiators so this was a new one for me. I didn't know the plug was replaceable so that's good to know too. Kind of embarrassing actually, just wonder if anybody read this and said "I hope this guy doesn't try and adjust his valves or something"!

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #9  
Remove the seven bolts holding the radiator in position on the side plate of the radiator on the drain site. Use a wood wedge to raise the rad up about one inch. The valve is then accessible and easily removed.

/ 5205 Radiator petcock drain question #10  
juniper
:welcome: to TBN

Hope that TXCYCLE solved his problem, but your suggestion likely will help others with removal.