JD 2520 "ticking" noise

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #1  

GREEN FROG

Tractor
JD 2520 with 200CX
Hi All,

I have a 2011 JD 2520. Following the 50 hour service I noticed a light "tick" noise coming from the front of the tractor. It is not a loud knock or lifter sound rather a soft intermittent "tick" which sounds like a old grandfather clock. I have tried to narrow it down but the best I can isolate is the front.

The noise occurs when its hot and cold. The tractor seems to fine and I really needed it so I have run for another 50 hours. I also recently (about 10 hours ago) changed the oil again and put in a mobile one diesel full synthetic which did not make any change. I have also recently started using Howes Diesel Conditioner and anti gel with winter upon us.

Help ... Is this normal??

Anyone else have this same noise on their 2520 or any ideas??

Thank you to everyone on this forum who has helped. I read this forum almost daily and have learned a TON from all of you. It was all your advise and threads that really helped me narrow down my selection to the 2520 and I could not be happier ... well ... once I know about this noise :)

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #2  
:welcome:

You say coming from the front of the tractor.
Can you narrow it down to the engine or just "to the front" ?

Change speed of ticking sound with different rpm engine speed? Or different tractor motion speed?

As you are changing oil, I can guess it is from the engine. And is "front" of the engine noise.

Some more info will help.
Welcome to the forum. We try.

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise
I have not been able to isolate where the sound is coming from. If I was pinned to the wall on it .... I would say from fan/battery area :confused: but is possible the sound is from the front part of the engine and I am just noticing it in the "front"???

When I have the tractor in motion or change RPM's I dont notice a drastic speed up or increase in the noise. Mabye a little but that is probably me over thinking it.

I can hear it from the drivers seat however ... It is much more obvious and seems louder when at idle and when I am standing in front of the tractor.

Thanks for your help

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #4  
Hello Green Frog and :welcome: TO TBN
I'll have to give mine a listen tomorrow after work. I can't say I've ever heard anything like what you are explaining,but then again there may be something there,just more subtle than yours.
For you to be able to pick this noise up over the actual engine noise,it must be fairly loud.

Greg

Thank you Greg ... I am very curious if anyone else is has this same "tick".

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #6  
My Kubota makes some similar noises, it's usually something external to the engine vibrating against something else. Loader joystick does this, so does the loader frame under some conditions.

Sean

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #7  
GREEN FROG:

This is really a "WAG" (wild - guess), but I would look at the fan and fan belt. Maybe trash between the radiator and the fan, or fan and engine. A nick or fray in the belt.

Be careful around those rotating parts.

Good luck, let us know if you figure it out.

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #8  
my 2320 has the same 'tick' which is an excellent term you used to explain the noise.. From what I can tell, its coming from the engine and not anyplace else..

Mine has been doing it for quite a while (im at 300 hrs now)

Brian

Chip -- I thought the same thing about the fan belt but dont see anything when stopped or running.

Brian ... Thanks for the info that your 2320 has the same noise.

If its the engine ... do you know what is causing it??

Is it something not to worry about??

/ JD 2520 "ticking" noise #10  
mine has the same sound and I am guessing it is the chaff screen rattling in its tracks in front of the radiator. but haven't confirmed it yet.