47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #1  

JJE64

Tractor
X585
I recently purchased a new drive shaft for my 47 in blower. Old one was damaged. Removed the old one easily by removing the retaining pin and sliding the drive shaft off the shaft which exists from the bower.

I placed the new drive shaft onto the shaft coming out of the blower aligning the woodruff key as per the manual.

BUT when I attempt to re-insert the retaining pin it appears the holes done not line up. The holes on the shaft which exits the blower appear to be further in (closer to blower) than the holes on the drive shaft. The drive shaft is pushed as far onto the shaft from the blower as it can go.

This seems like it should be easy per the manual. But it is proving to be a pain. Has anyone else done this installation? What could I be missing?

The shaft from the blower does not appear to have any play. I tried to re-install the old drive shaft and am having the same issue.

Will try to call the dealer next week, but my guess is they will say 'bring it in". At a $100 per hour, I would prefer to try to fix this myself.

ANy help is appreciated.

Thanks
John

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #2  
Picture would help. Could you identify in this picture.

Attachments

• DSCF5182.jpg
    DSCF5182.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 831
   / 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement
What is listed as parts 7 & 12 in the pix stick out the back of the blower housing. THe shaft (7) has a set of holes drilled in it . The drive shaft that is external to the blower and connects to the front PTO on my tractor slides onto 7 using the woodruff key (12) as a guide. It to has a set of holes. A rolled pin is inserted through the holes to hold the drive shaft onto 7.

What is occurring is the holes in 7 don't line up with the holes in the external drive shaft.

It appears that 7 needs to stick out of the blower housing further.

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #4  
the shaft on the blower must have slid in.... you'll have to try align it with a punch or screwdriver somehow to get it to line up so you can pound the pin in. im guessing the shaft slid in from pushing your new pto shaft onto it. Not a big deal.

Its the same thing a dealer would do.

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #5  
Take a look at these pics, can you see anything different from your set-up. Ignore the broken lock collar in the first pic.

Attachments

• DSCF5191.jpg
    DSCF5191.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 1,285
  • DSCF6098.jpg
    DSCF6098.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 1,354
  • DSCF6096.jpg
    DSCF6096.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 4,010
   / 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement
Yes, the shaft coming out on the right in pix #2 is what appears to be too far in (close to the tractor). It is on to this shaft that the PTO/drive shaft is slid (as I am sure you know).

I thought about using a punch to pull that shaft forward while I tap in the pin, but I did not want to damage the blower.

Thanks
John

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #7  
I just tried removing my drive shaft to no avail.
Pin is out but that thing is solidly on the gear spindle.
Tried a bit of heat as well as a FORD tool.
Any ideas how to break it loose?

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #8  
Are spacers #6 and roll pins(#5) in place? Are the spacers possibly reversed? Or are they the same size? Just grasping at straws, here. I had mine apart last year, but didn't run into any problems. Didn't change any parts, tho.

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #9  
Take a look at these pics, can you see anything different from your set-up. Ignore the broken lock collar in the first pic.

When the collar broke it allowed the shaft to slide through the bearing. That,s why it appears short.

/ 47" Snowblower Driveshaft Replacement #10  
Are spacers #6 and roll pins(#5) in place? Are the spacers possibly reversed? Or are they the same size? Just grasping at straws, here. I had mine apart last year, but didn't run into any problems. Didn't change any parts, tho.

#6 and #5 are not spacers or roll pin, it is a lock collar and a set screw. When I replace the lock collar I had to take everything apart. Had no problem putting it back together. Have you measure the old shaft with the new one to see if they were the same length?