Cylinder shields for 448/485

/ Cylinder shields for 448/485 #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
Does anyone have the stabilizer shield's on there 448/485 hoes? I've just had to replace the seals on my 448 stabilizer so I checked JDparts and low and behold they offer a shield kit. It doesn't take much to ding the cylinders with a rock which eats the seals if you don't file it down asap.

Matt

/ Cylinder shields for 448/485 #2  
Matt;

I figure they're a very good investment! Not only rock damage - swinging the bucket just a "scooch" too far - and you'll really have a problem!

Previous owner of my old, 8A backhoe left me with a constant reminder of what a bucket tooth will do to the stabilizer cylinder.

Have the shields on my 110.

AKfish

/ Cylinder shields for 448/485
I know they were very common on 110's, I've never seen or heard of them on a 448/485. I actually came across them accidentally when getting the seal repair kit.Of course they're not available through the parts site so I've got a call into my dealer. I've had fist size rocks just roll into the cylinders and nic them. I now keep a file and some emery cloth on the tractor and as soon as I see a rock hit I stop digging and check for damage.

Matt

/ Cylinder shields for 448/485 #4  
Matt,

I had em on my 448 (now sold) and did lots of digging with no damage. It was great not to worry about the rods.

The kit was two shields and two 45 degree fittings to route the hoses off toward the front so the shield wouldn't catch the hose as you raised the stabilizer.

You have to remove the step unfortunately. I modified my step by adding riser plates to the sides so the shield would slide under the step.
Welded it, ground it smooth, and tried it out. Worked great so I took it off to paint it and it is still sitting on the floor years later.:ashamed:
I can take a pic if you like.

Take AK's advice, it's a very good investment.

Tom

I finished the repairs on the cylinder yesterday. It turned into a project to say the least. I ended up needing a bunch of specialty tools. All in all it took about 6 hrs. I could probably do it in 4 now since I know what I need.

So if the guards cost less than 4hr of my time, they'd be worth the price.
Still waiting on the quote from the dealer. But it's poor design if the step goes away.

Matt

/ Cylinder shields for 448/485 #6  
I finished the repairs on the cylinder yesterday. It turned into a project to say the least. I ended up needing a bunch of specialty tools. All in all it took about 6 hrs. I could probably do it in 4 now since I know what I need.

So if the guards cost less than 4hr of my time, they'd be worth the price.
Still waiting on the quote from the dealer. But it's poor design if the step goes away.

Matt

Aww... come on, Matt.

I'll bet ya; 20 minutes with the welder and some spray paint - you'll have that "poor design" problem solved! :D

AKfish

Aww... come on, Matt.

I'll bet ya; 20 minutes with the welder and some spray paint - you'll have that "poor design" problem solved! :D

AKfish

If I could make pretty welds sure, but I'm just able to make it stick so I'd have to have my buddy weld it up.

Matt

My dealer finally got back to me with a price for the cylinder guards. $161.00 and a week to ship. Not too bad IMHO, I'll wait till I have them to figure out the step relocation issue. Pics to follow.

Matt

/ Cylinder shields for 448/485 #9  
My dealer finally got back to me with a price for the cylinder guards. $161.00 and a week to ship. Not too bad IMHO, I'll wait till I have them to figure out the step relocation issue. Pics to follow.

Matt

I wouldn't complain at all with that... Lookin' forward to your pics.

AKfish