Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Default Re: Help with JD 855

The dipstick on the transaxle that beenthere described is the dipstick to use to check the hydraulic oil level. The 855 uses a shared reservoir for the hydraulic implement pump and the transmission. Other than the engine oil dipstick, the only other oil level to check would be the front axle if it's a 4WD model. The recommended hydraulic oil is Lo-Viscosity Hy-Gaurd. Hold on to your shorts if you go to buy some... it's not cheap. I just priced a 5 gallon pail a couple weeks ago and it was about $100. The reservoir capacity is 4.5 gallons.

just picked up a JD 855 today. The aforementioned dipstick was showing empty. so I guess i have to figure out where to by lo viscosity hy-guard and add it through the dip stick hole? also want to change oil and whatever else I can do myself, and I don't have a manual yet. any tips on something simple like an oil change? first time tractor owner.

Tractor
    2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires

JD will have all the fluids you need for it, if there is a dealer near you. There should be another port with a screw cap on it to fill the hydraulic fluid. I am pretty sure it doesn't go in through where the dipstick is at. Maybe someone else here can say for sure where it's located at, or your dealer can tell you.

I've always used the Shell Rotella T 15-w40 engine oil in my tractors. Nothing wrong with the JD brand, of course, just my preference since the Shell is more readily available. Heck, even Walmart and Kmart carry it. Try to find some JD oil there lol!

As for changing the engine oil, there is no magic to it. Just get yourself a new oil filter (this will probably have to come from JD) and enough oil. According to tractordata (see link below) the 3cyl Yanmar engine in the 855 requires 3.8 quarts of engine oil, so I would go ahead and buy a gallon container of new oil and one extra quart to keep it topped off with.

Let the engine idle a few minutes to warm up the oil, then shut it off. Pull the plug and drain the old oil, and remove the old filter. Reinstall the drain plug after the old oil has drained out.

Get the new filter and fill it about half way full of new oil. Take your finger and dip it in some oil and lube the rubber seal on the top of the filter.

Spin the new filter on, but try not to spill any. If your filter is mounted horizontal, I would place a big rag underneath it to catch whatever does spill. This is when you HATE filters that are mounted horizontal!

Refill engine with 3.7 quarts new oil (allowing for the little bit you already poured into the new oil filter). Crank it up and look for any leaks. If no leaks, you are done! Here are most of the 85 spec's:

TractorData.com John deere 855 tractor information
    Nothing could be finer than riding my JD790 in South Carolina!!

2001 John Deere 790 4x4 with Model 70 FEL, 5ft International World Agritech bush hog, 5ft Wallberg BB, 5ft Frontier disc harrow, 5ft King Kutter II Rototiller, 5ft Cultipacker, 5ft Sitrex finish mower, Leinbach PHD with 9" & 12" augers, Leinbach middlebuster, Leinbach #11 Field Cultivator, boom pole, custom 3pt handi-hitch, clamp on bucket forks, Pat's Easy Change.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John....

Thank you. gotta find the place to add the hydraulic fluid. all foreign to me because it is first tractor. guy gave me tons of extra filters, but just discovered they are all for a different tractor! bummer! I must have 10 different filters for oil, and gas, and they are all worthless to me. well gotta find a store near me to buy hydraulic fluid now. wish me luck.

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by 2weelz4me View Post
    Thank you. gotta find the place to add the hydraulic fluid. all foreign to me because it is first tractor. guy gave me tons of extra filters, but just discovered they are all for a different tractor! bummer! I must have 10 different filters for oil, and gas, and they are all worthless to me. well gotta find a store near me to buy hydraulic fluid now. wish me luck.
    If it's the same as a 955, it's at the back, directly in the centre and under the seat area. I had a cab, so I can't say exactly what to look for, but that's the area you'll find it in.

Tractor
    JD 955/70A/7 TLB

Circled in yellow

Help with JD 855-855_hyd_fill.jpg

Tractor
    John Deere 4x4 855 with 70a FEL

There's two oil caps under the hood. What are they for?

Tractor
    1988 John Deere 755

to fill the oil.
    1988 John Deere 755
    52 Loader
    JD 59 Front mount snowblower
    60" MMM
    MFWD
    48" JD Model 40 tiller

Craftsman YS4500
    22 Hp Briggs & Stratton

Tractor
    John Deere 755 purchased new in 1993

You can ignore the lower one on the side. It does the same thing as the one on the top.
    JD 755, 70 Loader, 60 inch MMM, Landpride rear blade, Modern box blade, Wallace subsoiler

Tractor
    John Deere 4x4 855 with 70a FEL

Thanks for the useful comment. Now that I'm under there, does the fuel filter housing just unscrew? Am I not doing something there? It's a real PITA to get off!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast