Oil & Fuel Help with JD 855

/ Help with JD 855 #1  

JLuke

Tractor
John Deere 855
Hello, I'm new to this forum and need some advice. My father just passed and left me his JD 855. I can't find his owner's manual, so I was wondering about some basic maintenance questions till I get to the JD dealer and order a manual.

1. What type of Engine oil for the Diesel motor?
2. How full should the Hydraulic fluid be in the filler behind the seat above the PTO be? I believe I should be able to see it and I can't.
3. How much hydraulic fluid does it take and what weight?
4. Are there any other fluids I should check?
5. Any other things I should check?

Sorry for so many questions. I just don't want to run it till I check it out.

Thanks, John

/ Help with JD 855 #2  
Sorry to hear about your Dad and welcome to the forum. I used John Deere plus 50 15w40 in my 4700 and used it in my 755 when I had it. You should be able to see the hydraulic level on the dipstick. If there is no oil on the dipstick you need to add some. It can be hard to see at times. Your John Deere dealer can help you with the the type of hydraulic oil you will need. Only other fluid to check would be the antifreeze unless it is 4wd then there would be oil in the front axle to check. There are several places to grease. I change the oil every 100 hours or once a year. I think hydraulic oil for the 55 series is every 500 hours. Hope this helps out a little. I don't have my manual for my 755 anymore as I traded it off last year so I am trying to remember all of it.

/ Help with JD 855 #3  
x2 on the 15w40.

Dealer will be a good source for fluids. Random parts can often be head on fleebay.

I like to do engine oil once per year. Top off coolant as needed. Make sure you grease it. There are fittings underneath in addition to those obvious to you.

Post up some pictures if you have a chance.

/ Help with JD 855 #4  
:welcome:
What are your uses for the 855?
Has the tractor been setting idle for any long period of time?
Will you be using it on the same property as your father?
And with the same attachments? And they are??

Sorry of your loss. I know how I felt when my father passed away. Really miss him.

/ Help with JD 855
Thank you for the sentiments. Also thanks for the info. I'll be on here frequently now that I have a John Deere.

/ Help with JD 855 #6  
JLuke
Any help with the answers to the questions?

If too personal, ignore them. ;)

Last edited:
   / Help with JD 855 #7  
I sold my 955 last year. JD has one of the best online resources of any company for parts. If you sign up (free), you'll have access to all of the parts diagrams and parts lists. You'll be able to search for any part you need, get the part number, order it and have it arrive at your local JD dealer with a few clicks of the mouse. Sorry I can't help you with your questions, but this is a great resource to have.

https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned

/ Help with JD 855
beenthere,

I'll be using it to get my Firewood out of the woods, and next spring to plow the garden
It hasn't been sitting it was used on his farm.
No implements except the FEL.
Will be using at my place

/ Help with JD 855 #9  
On some tractors the fill for the hydo is in a diffrent location from the check level dipstick . Please check for this before you fill it up and overfill it. I use the Shell diesel oil in my old ford

/ Help with JD 855 #10  
Hello, I'm new to this forum and need some advice. My father just passed and left me his JD 855. I can't find his owner's manual, so I was wondering about some basic maintenance questions till I get to the JD dealer and order a manual.

2. How full should the Hydraulic fluid be in the filler behind the seat above the PTO be? I believe I should be able to see it and I can't.

There appears to be just the dipstick for the tranny, and the end of it should have markings to show the level. If no oil on the dipstick, then more shoule be added (I'd suggest a quart at a time until it shows). Have the FEL on the ground so you get a good reading on the dipstick. Appears this is also where tranny oil is added. Don't see a sight glass for the 855.

Firewood is what I am doing now with my 4300. Can't beat the help these small tractors can be to save on the back. If your Dad has been using the tractor within the last year, you should be good to go in the short term at least. Look around for some writings on the filters to see if he wrote/scratched/painted the hours of the last change. I do that, and rely on that for reminders when to do it the next time.

A couple pics showing the dipstick.

Attachments

• 855_dip_stick_tranny.JPG
    855_dip_stick_tranny.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 821
  • 855_dipstick_tranny.JPG
    855_dipstick_tranny.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 476