Modify forks for 3PH

/ Modify forks for 3PH #1  

tuolumne

Gold Member
I would like to weld some pins on my FEL forks to pick them up with the 3PH and use this to carry a sap tank in the bush. I have carried a tank on the front (100 gal.) in the past with the forks, but this takes away rear end traction. Also, it is handy to have a loader up there to help out when the mud gets deep. This year we have a 200 gallon (1800 lbs full) gathering tank which would be too much for the forks. I also think I'll get stuck if I put it on wheels, so I thought to try the 3PH. The specs indicate about 2500 lbs of lift capacity, but at how far out? I will be pretty close to that load with a full tank plus the weight of the forks.

Has anyone done this? Where did you weld your pins and a bracket for the top link?

/ Modify forks for 3PH #2  
tuolumne
I did that with my JD forks, and pick them up with the iMatch.
Welded two vertical plates at the top to take a pin, and just a round bar across the bottom for the lower hooks to engage. Works slick (as long as I set it off on a pallet as I cannot reach the forks if on the ground)

Attachments

• 3pt_conversion (Large).jpg
    3pt_conversion (Large).jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
   / Modify forks for 3PH #3  
tuolumne
Welded to vertical plates at the top to take a pin, and just a round bar across the bottom for the lower hooks to engage. Works slick (as long as I set it off on a pallet as I cannot reach the forks if on the ground)

I like that. I here ya about the lack of reach with the 3PH.

/ Modify forks for 3PH #4  
I think lift capacity of the 3pt hitch is rated a std distance from the hookup pins. 24" comes to mind.

/ Modify forks for 3PH
Well, here is what I came up with. I did a test run today with a woods crate we built. That is 40 cubic feet of green sugar maple, which must run upwards of 1600 lbs. With the riders, forks, pallet, chainsaws, logging chains, mauls etc. the total weight is over 2000 for sure. This was a very heavy lift and the hydraulics were whining a bit to take it to full height. The good news is that this is more weight than the sap tank will be so we're in good shape. The center of that load of firewood is about 24" beyond the ends of the lift arms. Is this where the rated load is?

DSC_4388.JPG

DSC_4421.JPG

Last edited:
   / Modify forks for 3PH #6  
You may need to keep a load in the grapple to maintain steerage in the bush....

/ Modify forks for 3PH
You may need to keep a load in the grapple to maintain steerage in the bush....

Agreed. I would not want to drive on level terrain with the 3PH maxed and no load in the front. The front end felt different even with the load. I do not intend to put that much wood on the rear again...this was a test for my welds and such.

/ Modify forks for 3PH #8  
tuolumne
Welded two vertical plates at the top to take a pin, and just a round bar across the bottom for the lower hooks to engage. Works slick (as long as I set it off on a pallet as I cannot reach the forks if on the ground)

Alright..! Double duty forks! :thumbsup: Great idea!

AKfish

/ Modify forks for 3PH #9  
Well, here is what I came up with. I did a test run today with a woods crate we built. That is 40 cubic feet of green sugar maple, which must run upwards of 1600 lbs. With the riders, forks, pallet, chainsaws, logging chains, mauls etc. the total weight is over 2000 for sure. This was a very heavy lift and the hydraulics were whining a bit to take it to full height. The good news is that this is more weight than the sap tank will be so we're in good shape. The center of that load of firewood is about 24" beyond the ends of the lift arms. Is this where the rated load is?

View attachment 250987

View attachment 250986

Good job! That's a real fine "logging crib" you've built as well! Got a good crew there, too!

Those rear chains are the "real deal" as well!!!

Is the wood needed to boil the syrup down?

AKfish

/ Modify forks for 3PH #10  
Welcome back, I was just re reading your thread the other day. Looks like the Deere is still serving you well. You should update your other thread so we can see how the project came out.

Matt:thumbsup: