forward pedal stuck

/ forward pedal stuck #1  

Gary Beaulieu

Tractor
JD 2210
I have a JD 2005 2210. It's been out in the cold for the past 3 days, 20 below. Anyway, I started plowing with it and noticed the pedals were coming up slowly when going forward and reverse. Then it got to the point that the forward pedal was up maybe 2" and wouldn't go down any further. I pressed the reverse pedal more which brought the forward pedal up and now the forward pedal is all the way up and will not go down. I can start the tractor in Neutral, but cannot put into gear because the reverse pedal is all the way down so the tranny is turning. Is it the dampening shock absorber doing this problem? or something else. I checked the trans oil, added maybe 1/2 quart to bring it back into the sight glass. Linkage seems alright underneath, you see it plays when I try to push the pedal, but it appears to be solid at the dampener shock. Could this have seized? Last year I had problems with linkage where the pedals returned to neutral slowly and this was dangerous because the tractor would not come to a stop quick enough. I oiled and lubricated the linkage and it was fine after that. Any suggestions is highly appreciated, my driveway is full of snow right now. Isn't this always the case? Thank you.

/ forward pedal stuck #2  
:welcome:
I would suspect the bushings are just dry and/or sticky. Some penetrating oil may loosen them up.
After last year, should have lubricated them or cleaned them when it was warmer. :) Yeah right, like we remember to do those things :D
Here is the breakdown of the parts, as I'd suspect it is in the mechanical linkage and not the tranny.
Where are you at? It is up to 3 deg F here today.

Attachments

• 2210_pedals.JPG
    2210_pedals.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 349
   / forward pedal stuck
Thanks for the schematic. Like I said, the linkage moves a little up tp part #53, but past that it's solid. If the dampener was to seize, could it cause the forward pedal to get stuck.. I really pressed hard on it and nothing happens. Tranny is fine, I'm sure. But it has something to do with the linkage
either binding somewhere, needing lubrication, or the dampener shock being stuck or over extended. Just called JD and they want $45 for service call and $70 per hour from their shop and back and time to work on it. They are 15 mins away. Since it's mechanical, I'll deal with it. Any other sugggestions would be helpful. Just can't see if it was lack of grease/oil that the pedal would be seized like that.??????

/ forward pedal stuck
Up in St. Leonard New Brunswick. 5 mins from the border of Maine. From Maine myself. Been a member since 2005 when I bought the tractor, but every time I request a new password, it put's me back to New member. lol

/ forward pedal stuck
Went underneath and sprayed with WD-40 until dripping wet to help penetrate and maybe loosen the linkage. I also noticed with the forward pedal all the way, I cannot engage the parking brake. I suppose this is normal, otherwise you'd be applying the brake when the tractor is running. haha. I just wonder if it can be the dampener cylinder. Might look at it tonight and remove the cylinder and see if it frees up the pedal, if so, this part needs to be cleaned, lubricated or replaced.

/ forward pedal stuck #6  
Gary , yes it is very well possible that the dampener has seized up . I just replaced one on a simlar model deere the other day that had seizd up. just remove it [ takes two seconds] to verify its seized. you can drive the tractor with it off but it will be real jerky.

/ forward pedal stuck
Glad it only takes seconds to remove. I guess it's a cotter pin or something.
Just looked at it quickly. I called the dealer and they want $215 for that part. Not sure what's so special about it. Anyway, thanks for the insight.
I think that is the culprit.

/ forward pedal stuck
WOW!!! Thanks for the lead. I put the tractor in the garage, slightly heated, and 4 hrs later I checked the pedals and it broke free and they are working. But do believe I should change this part sometime. Thanks again for the part info. Much appreciated.

/ forward pedal stuck #10  
While inside where warm can you get in there with an air hose and blow off any debris and/or moisture that may be freezing the mechanical linkages up? I guess I'd suspect that as a possibility before the damper.