2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod #1  

Mercmaniac

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520 & John Deere 445
We got 4-5 inches overnight so me and my son got out the 2 tractors and cleared it up. The pipe skid on the blower bottom edge worked great. Not much snow was left. It has been cold therefore hard driveway and the snow was light but definitely a noticeable difference. Before the scraper blade would chafe the driveway if the center of the blower was on a high spot. I was constantly adjusting the height to make sure it wouldn't dig in, now I just free float and blow. Still wondering what the results will be with heavier wet snow. Most likely, I will have to use some down pressure.
I did have some fog up on the windshield. I quickly rigged up a small 12V clip on fan, plugged it into the 12V outlet, pointed at the windshield and it took care of that. I have no heat in the cab but just wore thermal bottoms with jeans, sweat shirt and heavier coat. Temps were in the upper teens and I was more than comfortable.
The 2520 with cab really made my driveway clearing a lot easier and more pleasant. I have 2 link V-bars and MFWD was not needed at all. I did engage it for safety sake when blowing a path out to the burning pit which is a side slope. The individual rear brakes on the 2520 made this task a cinch compared to doing it with the 445. Still waiting for that 8"-10" snowfall to give it a good test. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 544
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    745.1 KB · Views: 440
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
   / 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod #2  
Where did you get your cab? Looks nice, hard or soft? Its hard to tell.

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod #4  
Nice Cab. Got me wondering if it would fit in my Garage. 2320 doesn't fit with the ROPS up, but the overall cab height looks lower.

Is it a big job to take the cab off and put it back on for the winter season?

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod #5  
Mercmaniac nice looking,, makes a big difference with the cab blowing snow !!

Phunge I leave frame work of my cab on yr around... I do have a heater in mine for the last couple of yrs .plus wiring for wiper,extra lights front and rear and this yr a radio.
If not all the extras I had removed mine the first couple of yrs and all total maybe an hr or 1 1/2 hrs to remove sides,doors, remove top ,windshield and then I would leave most of frame work all bolted together .

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod #6  
Everytime I get a face full of snow blowing back, and end up looking and feeling like frosty the snowman I think how nice one of these soft sided cabs might be.
I do wonder that come the summer months just how much of the cab support structure remains after removing it. I like an open station tractor weather permitting.

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod
Everytime I get a face full of snow blowing back, and end up looking and feeling like frosty the snowman I think how nice one of these soft sided cabs might be.

That made me chuckle:laughing: Over the past 15 years I have looked a lot like old frosty myself when blowing snow with my JD 445. I plan on removing the whole thing for the summer months. The initial install took me about 2 hrs and I am sure I can do it faster now. I also have wiring for wiper, aux lights and strobe. The wiring has a plug connection from the tractor to the cab.

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod #8  
Nice! Love the light bar on the 445, is that an ammo box? Love the spring tensioners on the 2520 chains!

/ 2nd blow with 2520 and pipe skid mod
Nice! Love the light bar on the 445, is that an ammo box? Love the spring tensioners on the 2520 chains!

Yes, it is a 30 cal. ammo can. The light bar will come off for summer mowing. Unplug the wiring harness, loosen 4 bolts and 2 unistrut straps and it is off.

Just got a pm from another member inquiring about the height of my original cab from the ground. I measured 80" at the highest point on my 2520, for anyone else interested.
Eric