Snow Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL?

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #1  

tinsnip

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 JD 4120
I've added a piece of pipe to my back blade for use as a snow removal blade. It fits over the cutting edge and does a great job of floating over the stone in my driveway. However, since it's a back blade, the tractor has to drive over the un-plowed snow while the blade drags behind. It does work but it would be a lot nicer to have the rig mounted on the front like a typical plow.

So I'm wondering if it might be possible to fabricate something that would allow me to mount the iMatch quick attachment frame with the rest of the back blade on the front of my 4120 via the FEL arms. Kind of a poor man's plow. Anyone done anything like that? Any reasons I might be overlooking that would prevent it from working?

Thanks!
Tim

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #2  
tinsnip
Should just have to have the top hooks that are on your bucket now, fabricated to weld onto the iMatch as well as the stubs at the bottom. May need to add some width to the iMatch. Or make a plate that has the 3 ph attaching points to transition between the FEL and the iMatch.

That said, the back blade doesn't have trip and release protection, so you may have some abrupt stops or failure of parts when mounted to the FEL. That could make you poorer in a hurry. Your pipe addition may prevent that.

Check out previous posts, as there are several who have mounted snow plows to their FEL and like the arrangement. I mounted a 7' plow directly to the front frame on my 4300.

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #3  
Anythings possible.

While back I converted my front 2" receiver hitch thiny to except 3pt stuff.

Attachments

• hitched (Medium).jpg
    hitched (Medium).jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 733
   / Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #4  
Not saying I have completely though this through. Instead of trying to put the plow on the front. Why not temporarily turn the bucket into a plow?

Here is what I got so far, put a piece of 5/8s or better plywood, sideways in the bucket ie front corner of one side and back corner of the other side of the bucket, with a little bracing in the back. Then turn up the nose of the bucket, put the loader in float and have at it. If the snow starts coming over the bucket just raise the bucket a little and push it off to the side.

Maybe you have too much snow compared by me, but just using the bucket I cleared snow by me the year before last with no problems and did not dig up any gravel in the driveway.

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL?
Thanks for the replies and the photos. I'm starting to believe it might actually work. I'll do a little more measuring and maybe go to the next step.

I hear you on the abrupt stopping, but I'm pretty sure the pipe will glide right over most of the rocks in the driveway.

I tried something similar to the modified bucket thing a few years ago to sweep the 4 foot high banks on the sides of the driveway down. At the time I was plowing with my ATV and after a few storms, it couldn't fling the snow high enough and it started to narrow up on me. The blade is great since it kicks out pretty wide.

Nice to know it's not a completely dumb idea. Thanks!

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #6  
Tim;

Many rear blades will rotate 180 degrees... if you don't mind driving in reverse, you should be able to push snow off your 3pt that way.

I'm of a similar mind with beenthere. The overall length of the rear blade and iMatch hitch hanging off the loader arms - huge lever - and just the force of the blade coming into a berm or the edge of the road... well, I could easily imagine that the loader arms could suffer significant damage!

AKfish

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL?
Hmm. You could be right about the balance and awkward weight distribution. As it is now, the blade hangs off the back of the tractor by quite a distance, enough to allow the blade to swing 360 degrees. That would put a lot of stress on the arms especially if one edge got caught. Maybe I'll skip this idea and if I get really sick of driving over the snow with the blade on the back, start saving my pennies for a real plow. My driveway is simply too long to navigate going in reverse. My neck would be in a permanent spasm after one storm!

Thanks!
Tim

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #8  
This way is a lot more fun for a long drive.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9i-ads1Ow&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]4300 Deere snowplowing 1 - YouTube[/ame]

This is one pass out of 4 to clean the drive to the Highway.

/ Is it possible to fabricate something to mount iMatch on FEL? #9