1985 JD111 Governor spring

/ 1985 JD111 Governor spring #1  

85JD111

Tractor
JD 111
All, I'm new to the forum and am hoping I might find an answer to my question. I have a 1985 JD 111 with a Briggs engine, there is a very, very small long spring that is placed on the governor linkage, it has broke and I'm not sure why it is even needed. Attached is a picture from the JD website that shows the spring I'm referring to. The spring slides over the linkage. If someone knows more about this spring I would appreciate the education on it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• GOV SPRING FIND NO 21.JPG
    GOV SPRING FIND NO 21.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 1,354
   / 1985 JD111 Governor spring #2  
:welcome:
Maybe to keep it from throbbing? ??

Does the engine work ok without it?

/ 1985 JD111 Governor spring
Well, hard to tell. I just picked the mower up at new years from my father. I had it running, would start on the first or second try 99% of the time but would need constant tinkering with the carb to keep it running once it warmed up. I got a carb rebuild kit and did that today. In the process broke that little spring. If I put some gas down into the carb it will start and run for a few seconds until all of the fuel is used up and then stall. I know everything should be fine, before I did any work to it I drove it from the shed to my garage today. I'm really scratching my head now. If you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks for the response.

/ 1985 JD111 Governor spring #4  
I see, the engine doesn't work ok, and it is maybe worse after the carb kit.
Get a new spring from JD and when you get it, ask them to show you how it attaches. Then see how the engine runs.

Are you familiar with how to adjust the carb, or do you have some guidelines to follow?

/ 1985 JD111 Governor spring
snug the bowl and idle screw up than back off 1.5 turns. 1 turn on the throttle than adjust at idle and then full throttle. I cant figure out why the carb is not getting fuel. Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow.

/ 1985 JD111 Governor spring #6  
You may have found your answers int he last two months but if not I might be able to help you.

Is this 111 a late model with the tank under the seat or early with a smaller tank under the hood?

On the early ones they are very particular about the type of fuel filter used. If it is a fliter intented to be used with a pump it may not pass fuel by gravity alone.

If you have the tank under the seat you may need to invetigate the pulse style fuel pump. The rubber parts can be damaged over time by alcohol bearing fuels.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.