825i gator

/ 825i gator #1  

cantbeatadeere

Bronze Member
Tractor
03 4710, 06 728
clearing snowmobile trail blow downs yesterday, hooked the jd winch to a tree and winched it loose, then was pulling it in reverse into the woods and needed to steer clear of a stump,soon as the wheel was turned --POP-- right c/v shaft went. Don't steer when pulling in reverse(bad things will happen)

/ 825i gator #2  
been there, done that.

you are right, that is the worst possible thing to do to a cv shaft. lots of torque at bad angles.

/ 825i gator #3  
clearing snowmobile trail blow downs yesterday, hooked the jd winch to a tree and winched it loose, then was pulling it in reverse into the woods and needed to steer clear of a stump,soon as the wheel was turned --POP-- right c/v shaft went. Don't steer when pulling in reverse(bad things will happen)
If it is still under warranty, I'd call the Deere dealer to see if it is covered. Seems like it should be covered.

/ 825i gator
if its not warranty this will fall under the category of NO GOOD DEED WILL GO UNPUNISHED...work in 13 deg weather for 7 hrs for free and have to buy a 230.00 shaft to boot, don't mind paying for the gas:confused2:

/ 825i gator
dealer covered the shaft:thumbsup:, also the new shaft has a new part number. don't think they would change the num. if the shaft was the same so prob. a better/stronger part. still won't steer in reverse though:laughing:

/ 825i gator #6  
dealer covered the shaft:thumbsup:, also the new shaft has a new part number. don't think they would change the num. if the shaft was the same so prob. a better/stronger part. still won't steer in reverse though:laughing:
John Deere is really good on tractor warranty stuff so figured there's a good chance they'd cover your broken axle. Seems like it should not have broken in the first place but it was likely defective.