1975 John Deere 2030 (401c)

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c)
The tractor has a reverser on it, Hi/Lo shift but, it doesn't have independent pto. I just bought the tractor about two weeks ago and it has a rebuilt engine in it so about 4 hours on it. Before rebuild? I don't know, the previous owner said that the tach did't work. Where would the transmission oil filter relief valve be located? The tractor didn't look like it got used much.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #12  
this is wear the book starts to come in , the filter relief is on the side of the trans housing above the filter more or less just goin from memory here . its a hex head looks like a plug, pull that and the spring and valve will come out . to test the trans pump kind of lo tech way, drop the filter have a large drain pan and crank the engine maybe even start for a second oil should pump out like mad, if not the trans pump is suspect.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #13  
If you have a reverser you can not have a Hi-Low. Hi Lo is a hydraulic shift that allows clutchless shifting of the gear you are in to a 30% lower gear and back up to the same gear. You will have a two range manually shifted transmission.

Brimstone, the valve would be on the right side or the left side? Can you remember? I will look tomorrow to look for the valve. You say to drain the filter and then crank the engine to see if the trans pump is ok, when you loosen the filter won't it start to drain the trans?

Zebrafive, you are right. The tractor is a two range manually shifted transmission.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #16  
Brimstone, the valve would be on the right side or the left side? Can you remember? I will look tomorrow to look for the valve. You say to drain the filter and then crank the engine to see if the trans pump is ok, when you loosen the filter won't it start to drain the trans?

Removing hyd filter will not allow all hyd oil to drain out only a small amt. The hyd filter relief valve is on the RH side with hyd filter. Does tractor have a 3pt hitch? If so with engine running,3pt fully raised,remove hyd filler cap cap & look inside for spraying hyd oil. JD utility tractors of that era have a history of failed rockshaft control valve o-rings.

I removed the filter and started the tractor up fun about five seconds and I roughly got 4.5 - 5.0 quarts of oil. I feel that means the rear pump is probably good. Yes it has 3 point. I will look at the oil filler cap to lookfor spraying. Would be why I'm having power steering and rear hydraulic issues? Especially in idle?

Last edited:
   / 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #18  
tx jim probably knows more than i , sounds like the trans pump is working thou.its hard to say if its at full capacity . like tx jim said run it and look in though the fill hole on the back of the rockshaft if oil is spraying the rockshaft valve seals are leaking all the time witch may be part or all of your problem you may need a small lite on a stick to see inside the housing.

Will that be the problem with the power steering being turning hard when in idle? The people at my John Deere dealership say the rockshaft shouldn't have nothing to due with the power steering. I will check for the spraying though. Thanks for all the help so far, I appricate it very much!

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #20  
Actually the only correct way to check a hyd pumps output is if there is some sort of restriction on output(flow). On checking trans pump output I normally would run tractor for 1 minute and measure output. It should be close to 5 gallons. On a closed center hyd system any type of leakage(internal/external) will contribute to sluggish operation. The people at the JD dealership you're referring to evidently don't know much about a closed center hyd system. Yes there is a pressure control valve on RH side of trans case(by hyd filter) that gives priority psi to steering BUT when psi fails below 1700 psi steering will be affected. By chance does this tractor have a frt end loader attached?????????? I can't remember if this has been addressed but the reservoir up by radiator is to help supply hyd oil when the operator has clutch pedal depressed or hyd load exceeds trans pump output. It is automatically filled when hyd requirements have been meet.