1975 John Deere 2030 (401c)

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #1  

JohnDeereFarm

Tractor
John Deere 2030 / 1950 Case DC / 1973 John Deere 4230
Hello to all out their. A 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) it's having hydraulic problems. The reservoir is in the front of the tractor is empty. The reservoir is above the front pump and feeds it. Should the reservoir be empty at all. It looks like there is hardly any fluid flowing into it in idle. Also the line that comes out of the side of the pump pulsates. That line that pulsates, runs to the back for the rear hydraulics and for the power steering. The rear hydraulics chatter and creep up slowly. The power steering turns very hard, like it is starving for oil I should tell everyone that when i drive it down the road, the power steering is almost fine and the rear hydraulic go up almost normally. Could anyone tell me what my problem is ? I would greatly appreciate it.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #2  
Hello to all out their. A 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) it's having hydraulic problems. The reservoir is in the front of the tractor is empty. The reservoir is above the front pump and feeds it. Should the reservoir be empty at all. It looks like there is hardly any fluid flowing into it in idle. Also the line that comes out of the side of the pump pulsates. That line that pulsates, runs to the back for the rear hydraulics and for the power steering. The rear hydraulics chatter and creep up slowly. The power steering turns very hard, like it is starving for oil I should tell everyone that when i drive it down the road, the power steering is almost fine and the rear hydraulic go up almost normally. Could anyone tell me what my problem is ? I would greatly appreciate it.
Is there a fill line on the reservoir ? Add fluid to line might work.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #3  
Sounds low on oil. And it sounds like you think that it is low on oil too. Add oil a quart at a time and see if there is any improvement.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c)
The reservoir doesnt have a fill marking on it, but the transmission dipstick says it's full? The reservoir that I'm talking about is up front a foot above the hydraulic pump.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #5  
The reservoir doesnt have a fill marking on it, but the transmission dipstick says it's full? The reservoir that I'm talking about is up front a foot above the hydraulic pump.

are you sure that isn't the fuel tank in the front i thought that tractor used the trans/rear axle for a sump for the hyd. oil

It does, but it gets pumped up to the Oiler cooler then from there it goes to a reservoir that is about 2 liters in volume. I herd these front pumps on the John Deere don't suck they get feed.

/ 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #7  
you have two pumps on that type tractor . there is a pump in the front of the trans that pumps oil to the main pump up front. if the trans pump isnt sending enough oil to the front pump you get low flow and pulsation. the power steering gets all the oil it needs before any thing else,so thats why the steering seems ok.that tank above the front pump is only there to supply oil to the main pump at times when the trans pump is disenguaged (clutch depressed)and to smooth out flow to the main pump. frist thing to do after checking the oil level is to pull the suction screen and clean it and replace the filter. refill the hyd oil and try it again. buy the way the trans holds around ten gal of hyd oil.if the screen or filter are dirty the trans pump cant supply enough oil to the front pump. and hyd dont work or work slow and jerky. did this happen all at once or over time?

I replaced the trans oil and filter with all John Deere Products. This tractor is really a 401c which is the industrial version of the 2030. It says in tractor data.com that the rear end holds around 8.5 gallons so do you think 10 gallon may be to much? I know it will hold it though. By the way the rear screen is clean. I'll put more fluid in it tomorrow morning. Also, I herd that the rear pump works only when the rear wheels are moving??

Last edited:
   / 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #9  
Brimstone is right on. Check the sump screen and replace the filter first. If you have already done that, then we need to know how the tractor is equipped. Does it have a reverser? Hi-Lo shift? Independent PTO? The transmission pump supplies oil to those items and to transmission lubrication before any oil gets sent to the Main hydrauilc pump. These items can develop internal leaks that rob the oil from the main pump. Another item that can cause problems is the transmission oil filter relief valve. A piece of dirt can get stuck in the valve holding it open and dumping oil flow back to sump. The transmission pump does pump when sitting still. Depending on what type of clutch/pto you have, it can stop pumping when the clutch is pushed in.

Last edited:
   / 1975 John Deere 2030 (401c) #10  
if the dipstick shows full then it is all set . I just wanted to make sure you knew it was a lot of oil. how many hours on this rig . the pumps do wear out. also could have an internal leak in the trans or the rockshaft. the trans pump also supplys oil to lube the shafts/ gears, and some of them have a hyd pto system that could have a leak. or if the trans has a hi/lo unit. or if its a power reverser . when they work right their great when they dont it can become a major deal to fix. do you have the book sounds like know some about it?