4300 rear end

/ 4300 rear end #1  

butzkeg

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4300 HST
I am looking for some feedback on a potential issue. A few months back, I had a bearing fail on the left rear of my 4300, the bearing broke apart and was pushed thru the casing. A chunk of money and time later I got it back together and running. While I had the left rear off, I did everything I could to see if the right side was still solid. There was no play at all.

I was out using it for the first time today; a little paranoid of course. Well everything seemed fine, except I hear an occasional ticking in the right rear if it's slipping and the left isnt moving. Just driving normal or with the diff locked, no noise. I don't remember if it did this before, since I never thought anything of it. It increases with speed, FYI. Anyway, now I am thinking about it!

Can anyone verify if their similar model does the same? Lots of slipping here with snow and ice. I will tear the right side apart, happily rather than break it. I am, based on the symptoms thinking it's the differential making a "normal"'sound.

Thanks for your help!

/ 4300 rear end #2  
is this a Steiner/Jacobson 4300??? if it is then remove the parking brake off the rear transaxle. drive it and see if it goes away... talking from experience that can cause the transaxle to become noisy.

/ 4300 rear end
No, it's a Deere. Sorry...

/ 4300 rear end #4  
My 4300 has never made a ticking noise.

/ 4300 rear end
Maybe more of a click than a tick...seems to do it once per revolution of the tire.

/ 4300 rear end #6  
Are rear wheel bolts tight?

Noise possibly could be the spider gears or shaft(parts key #8) in differential. Has tractor ever been run real low on trans/hyd oil??

Attachments

• MP31346________UN19FEB03.gif
    MP31346________UN19FEB03.gif
    16.5 KB · Views: 349
   / 4300 rear end
The rear bolts are tight. It's been run pretty low on fluid before when we had an unnoticed leak. It was Even pulled home about a half mile with no fluid after the left side rear blew out. It sounds like it comes from the right center or right side (somewhere between the diff and big bull gear)

/ 4300 rear end #8  
IMHO pulling it 1/2 mile without hyd oil in it was looking for disaster. I would have hauled it instead of pulling it even I had to hire a roll-back truck. I'll bet you click is in the differential spider gears.

/ 4300 rear end #9  
Additional FYI. My JD 4300 doesn't have a clicking sound and have been out on ice several times clearing snow where one of rear tires loses traction.

/ 4300 rear end #10  
is this a Steiner/Jacobson 4300??? if it is then remove the parking brake off the rear transaxle. drive it and see if it goes away... talking from experience that can cause the transaxle to become noisy.

Thought this might be reference to a particular rear end in the Deere 4300. Assume not, and that it DNA to the OP. Just wondering.