new front tires on MFWD?

/ new front tires on MFWD? #1  

wango tango

Silver Member
hey all

need to replace my front tires on my 4410 with 4wd. they are quite worn. the rears are about 50%.

do i need to replace the rears too, to keep things happy w the 4wd? or can i replace the fronts only.

anyone have a set of take off R1's off a 4310/4410/3x20's?

/ new front tires on MFWD? #2  
You can just replace the fronts. The difference from wear will not be enough to effect your drivetrain. I've replaced the fronts on one of my tractors twice now without any problems.

MarkV

/ new front tires on MFWD? #3  
I'm at that crossroad with the R4's on my JD 4300. Plan to just buy the fronts new.
25 x 8.50-14 6PR

Looking for a good deal at the moment.

/ new front tires on MFWD? #4  
Normal to wear out the fronts first, they are smaller and "lead the rears"
I see no problem only replacing the fronts. New ones should still be in the 1-5% lead.

/ new front tires on MFWD? #5  
It's more troublesome to replace the rears and not the fronts. Replacing the fronts and not the rears typically works out well.

You always want the fronts to pull a bit more than the rears.

--->Paul

/ new front tires on MFWD? #6  
When I purchased my 4410 used in 2009 it came with loaded Turfs. I had to do some heavy loader work and the turf sidewalls just were not up to it and collapsed and cracked. I started to leak air so I elected to replace only the fronts with R4s of equal size. I left the loaded turf on the rear or else I would have had to change the rims as well. I have not had any problems in the 1000 hours I've put on it since. Including driving the tractor the 6 miles from my farm to my 100ac bush lot a couple times a summer to mow and grade the roads. The turfs aid significantly with traction in the snow and ice but are crap with ground engagement and mud. I've noticed an increase in traction with the R4 fronts.

/ new front tires on MFWD? #7  
I would say your fine as long as you stay real close to the height size.

/ new front tires on MFWD? #8  
When I purchased my 4410 used in 2009 it came with loaded Turfs. I had to do some heavy loader work and the turf sidewalls just were not up to it and collapsed and cracked. I started to leak air so I elected to replace only the fronts with R4s of equal size. I left the loaded turf on the rear or else I would have had to change the rims as well. I have not had any problems in the 1000 hours I've put on it since. Including driving the tractor the 6 miles from my farm to my 100ac bush lot a couple times a summer to mow and grade the roads. The turfs aid significantly with traction in the snow and ice but are crap with ground engagement and mud. I've noticed an increase in traction with the R4 fronts.

I was thinking of putting R4's on the front of my 4300 as well. The turfs are a little beat up, and leak just a bit too. Rears are in great shape!

/ new front tires on MFWD? #9  
So.......... I take it if R4s on the front are within an inch or so of the same diameter as R3 turfs you are OK.......... ?

My fronts are somewhat more worn than the rears. Rears are loaded R3s. And I have some loader work to do this summer, and think I could stand to have a little stiffer, more durable tire on the front. I don't want to be surprised with a flat while busy with other things.........